Baby Corn - Snobaby - No cobs yet

• 7 Replies

Godhelm

Baby Corn - Snobaby - No cobs yet
« on: July 23, 2014, 13:03 »
I'm trying Snobaby for the first time (seeds from DT Brown). The plants look really healthy, and are starting to have the tassles on the top (which I plan to remove to prevent pollination), but there is no sign of any cobs whatsoever. Am I just too impatient, or do you think there is a problem?
I am also growing Swift (quite a distance away from the Snobaby) where most plants already have 2 cobs developing (though the plants are shorter than I was expecting - certainly shorter than the Mirai Picnic I grew last year).

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
Re: Baby Corn - Snobaby - No cobs yet
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 13:36 »
Surely you wish to have pollination as otherwise no seeds/corn, maybe I am just lisunderstanding the point.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 13:37 »
As earlier topics have mentioned, there often seems a delay before the cobs appear - stupid timing isn't it!

As you don't need pollination for mini cobs, it doesn't matter - you'll just have to wait a little while longer  ;)

Yes, Swift is quite short Lark seems to be a shorty as well, which is what I'm trying this year  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 14:07 »
My 'Incredible' are supposed to reach 8' but at only around 4' are already sending up male tassels (they'll have to be bloomin' long spikes to reach 8' !  :ohmy:)

First signs of first silks appearing - hardly got out of bed never mind powdering their noses!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 14:10 »
My 'Incredible' are supposed to reach 8' but at only around 4' are already sending up male tassels (they'll have to be bloomin' long spikes to reach 8' !  :ohmy:)

First signs of first silks appearing - hardly got out of bed never mind powdering their noses!  :lol:

Swap mine have gone huge  :ohmy: I'll need a cherry picker to get to the cobs  :lol:

Godhelm

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 17:02 »
Surely you wish to have pollination as otherwise no seeds/corn, maybe I am just lisunderstanding the point.

For baby corn, you don't want pollination as you don't want kernels to form and fill out like 'normal' sweetcorn.

Godhelm

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 17:03 »
As earlier topics have mentioned, there often seems a delay before the cobs appear - stupid timing isn't it!

As you don't need pollination for mini cobs, it doesn't matter - you'll just have to wait a little while longer  ;)

Yes, Swift is quite short Lark seems to be a shorty as well, which is what I'm trying this year  :D

No doubt they are waiting until the day after I go on holiday so that they will be 'too far gone' by the time I return!

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:10 »
Thanks Godhelm I didn't know that!

xx
Sweetcorn & Baby Corn

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 22:03
by realfood
xx
Any opinions please - baby corn

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 20:52
by gobs
xx
Pollinated baby corn - minipop

Started by lisajpickering on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 13:24
by Kristen
xx
Two Cobs of Sugar

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2008, 23:59
by peterjf

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 40 queries.