Blightwatch 2014

• 85 Replies

mrsbean

Re: Blightwatch 2014
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 21:39 »
have,nt got spuds down this year, but got greenhouse and outdoor tomatoes. blight in my area, think some plot holders have it on their spuds. should i spray my tomatoes or is it too late.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 09:35 »
If you're going to spray you need to do it before there are any signs of blight - it's a preventative measure rather than a cure unfortunately.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 20:41 »
We now have a dot on the blightwatch map, just got to wait for the pack to send in a sample

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 12:21 »
Hi all just been down the plot and seen what looks too much like blight!!  :(
Had checked blight map and there didn't seem to be any round here.
Will have to chop down the tops after lunch can't risk it as I have two beds which looked very heathy till today! :unsure:
Cheers HH
Keep digging

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 13:02 »
It all depends on people reporting it, several went down on our site before ours but it was me that reported it

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 15:53 »
Good point BQ i have sent an email report but the website doesn't seem set up to encourage reporting ??
Cheers HH

AnneB

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 17:19 »
Good point BQ i have sent an email report but the website doesn't seem set up to encourage reporting ??
Cheers HH

Same for me HH.  I got an automated response thanking me for my email, but nothing more and my report of blight in BD15 has not appeared on the map.  However, if you spend many hours trawling through their site, it does throw up one article with a name and email address where you can volunteer to be an allotment blight monitor.   

Is this what you have done BQ?   

I suspect they will only take reports from people who are blight scouts from the industry or registered allotment monitors who have been given a kit to send samples in.   I suppose it makes sure there are no false alarms, but potentially the blightwatch maps are under reporting the incidence of blight.

Here is the link to the relevant page.  The contact details are towards the bottom.

http://www.potato.org.uk/news/potato-growers-face-weather-related-challenges

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 18:24 »
Yes you get encouraged to be a blight watch monitor and they did take about five days to respond but the response came in about 9 pm one night.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 20:24 »
Have I got Blight already??

Hi all - in the last few days my 2 rows of early spuds (Pentland Javelin) have decided to look like they have blight. The 2 rows are the only ones that look like this.. see photos.. I dug some spuds and they look great - no black blight blotches on the tubers at all... also no blotches on the stalks.. just the leaves looking very blighty!! Plants look a bit off as well compared to the others rows of late varieties which are roaring away and nice and dark green. Almost look like they have run out of steam and are starting to die off.. Planted them on 31 march so they are only 11 weeks old BUT it has been very dry. Even digging them today is very dry. I manured and fertilized with a bit of general fert and some organic potato pellets when I planted them.

Surely with the hot weather we've been having it cant be blight?? None on the map near me...
20140624_182456L_rs.jpg
20140624_182502L_rs.jpg
20140624_182448L_rs.jpg
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 20:26 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 20:30 »
I have to say mine look the same, will be interesting to see what the general consensus is......
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 20:40 »
I think blight would have been more general than your pics Gavin, so look at other problems - if any!

We all scrunge up when we see a leaf go awkward, and fear the worst! Just take it easy and consider the alternatives!

bravemurphy

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 20:48 »
They look blighty to me.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 21:20 »
Its a strange on.... the two early rows have totally lost colour compared to the rest... same prep etc. for all 6 rows..

AnneB

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 21:36 »
It looks like blight to me.  Oddly,  three plots on our site have had blight in the last 2 weeks, all Pentland Javelin.  Blight maps show nothing in the immediate vicinity, but in the next county.   I chopped the tops off mine and am leaving for 2 weeks.   Mine looked like yours, but I didn't want to risk leaving them to spread to the maincrops in the next bed, which are the more resistant Cara and Picasso.  The plotholder next to me had 1 plant very blighted in a tub, he checked underneath and all was mush.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 22:57 »
I only grow earlies due to space... Went to do some weeding and noticed most of my 'nicolas' had brown/black patches on the leaves, whole plant didnt look too healthy, white fungal on some leaves .... As I've got 25 tom plants outside too I decided not to risk them for a few rows of spuds. Cut them down and  Dug up 3 rows, best yield I've ever had! Friends have been very happy ...
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

xx
Blightwatch

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2023, 06:23
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Blightwatch - here we go!

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:31
by mumofstig
xx
Blightwatch

Started by Pescador on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2017, 20:18
by JimB
xx
Blightwatch 2015

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 17:43
by surbie100

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 40 queries.