Stopped Laying

• 24 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Stopped Laying
« on: December 23, 2007, 08:50 »
We have experienced a cold snap in the south for nearly 10 days now with overnight temperatures dropping below -7 on one night.

While both our hens are very active still and keen to eat the greens we put out and the mash. they have both stopped laying.

Our neighbour has said it is because we don't have a light in the hen house over night and has also recommended we feed them some corn with coldliver oil.

Will all or any of these solutions get them back laying?  They have only been laying for three months so I feelcertain it has something to do with the weather.

As usual any assistance would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to you all

Rugbymad40 (and family)
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

WG.

Stopped Laying
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 08:59 »
Heh Rugby - I thought about you yesterday when I was handing out the Christmas Pressies - welcome back.

This has come up before.  A light does help laying but most folks prefer not to borrow techniques from the commercial egg producers.  Chickens need a rest too.  :)

westie

• Experienced Member
Stopped Laying
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 18:13 »
I think it's to do with the lenght of day light hours...the days are going to to get longer now so they should start to lay again soon.

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
Stopped Laying
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 04:40 »
not too sure what the corn and cod liver oil would do, except give them the runs....fofl...

if you want them to lay in the winter, make sure they have 16 hours light, by placing a bulb in the chook house on a timer. A lot of people wont do it, because they think of a battery system etc and it is unatural, but if they have access to the outside in the daytime, and have a few extra hours of light in the evening i cant see a prob.
i usually do this for some of my birds for 3 months in the winter, starting in January, but luckily i dont have to this year as my POL have started laying on their own with no extra light......( phew saved a bit of electric this year )

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Good Advice
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 10:57 »
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the tips and I think we will just wait the no egg situation out.  The hassle of getting electricity out to the coop would out weigh the results.

Hello to WG. Yes I know I have not been as active on the site this year.  Sadly my dad was diagnosed with Lung Cancer in July and all our attentions were rightly focused towards him and mum.  He sadly lost the battle against it in late November so Christas this year has been a rather quiet affair.

On a happier note we are going to be parents again in May next year and thats going to mean more work on the plot to keep us all fed.  Plans are already drawn up and the Tiller is ready to go once we stop having frosts down here.

I might not be contributing much to the site, but I am still a regular visitor.

Best regards

Rugbymad40

shamina

Stopped Laying
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:16 »
My hens havn't stopped laying bu8t they do seem to be out of sync with it. they normally have both layeed by the time I get them out but this past week one has been coming back to lay about lunchtime. Is this due to the winter light or am I doing something wrong? Hope eveyone had a lovely day yesterday and that yiur stiil enjoying it today. I had a lovely day but was poorly last night and then sonny woke in the night and was sick all over so I've got lots of washinh and a house that stinks of sick and it's our day to entertain today. Oh the joy :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Stopped Laying
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 15:51 »
Hi Rugby, nice to 'see' you again!  I am so sorry to hear about your Dad.  Christmas is always a sad time for so many people isn't it?

Take Care  XX

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Stopped Laying
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 22:29 »
Your hens should start laying again soon id say in the middle of january i dont see any need to give them light or anything as they need a rest from laying.
Depending on how old they are they could be malting which would last up to two months and they would just stop laying.
If they were hatched early in the year it could be the first malt, mine were hatched about july so wont malt until next year.
Ive heard about cod liver oil being given to chickens but not for laying more for the purpose of health mainly giving them nice feathers.
You could give them all the layers mash you want but it wouldnt really make them lay its down to daylight hours per day or if their malting.
I have rhode island reds and they just slow down rather than stop i got 3 eggs from 7 hens today.
I give mine in the winter 50 % growers pellets which contains more protein which they dont get as much as in the winter and it helps them get over a malt . 30 % layers pellets and 20 % corn. Sunflower seeds i find to help very well in conditioning the feathers all year round just a few handfulls a day
I wish you all the best, they will start laying soon Jonny

sue.hole

Stopped Laying
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 17:42 »
Dear Rubymad,
My old hens stopped laying a month ago, and my younger ex batts are only laying a few, its the darker days. They will lay better in the spring when the weather improves and the daylight gets longer - we are past the winter solstice, so it's all on the way up from here on in.
SAH

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
Stopped Laying
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 18:11 »
I have sixteen hens at the moment and some days I get 4 eggs others I get around 6, I have put it down to the dark days. looking forward to the Spring. ( so sre the village when the egg round begins again)
I am giving them a hot breakfast every day - sad or what :D  :D  :D  :?:
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

sue.hole

hot breakfast ?
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 18:16 »
what's this hot breakfast then ?
We spoil ours with melon, grapes, sweetcorn, lettuce and greens - they have organic mixed corn and this mash mix, with my own mixture includes mashed cooked vegetable peelings. I tried putting down plain layers pellets and they just ignore them completely, as if to say " Are you mad  " xxxx

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
Stopped Laying
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 18:59 »
ok I'm completely mad :shock:

porridge, cornflakes and hot milk, weetabix and hot milk, :)  :D  well if they are good enough to give me their eggs then I can make sure that they are nice and warm on a cold day :oops:  :oops:  :D  :D

Selkie

Stopped Laying
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 20:08 »
Is it ok to give them milk? (I'm assuming you're using cows' milk rather than soya/rice milk) I thought you were meant to avoid dairy products, but I'm new to this so I am probably wrong (again :roll: )

sue.hole

hot breakfast
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 20:33 »
Viv- porridge and milk sounds like a good idea on a cold morning.
the lady that queries giving dairy - well hard boiled eggs or raw eggs are loved by hens and raw yolk is a tonic, so I don't think dairy does harm. Mine get the odd bits of meat and cheese , they love a bit of animal protein. For example, if they see a baby mouse in their run they will rip it to shreds and eat it with glee ! ( and i have got rat boxes in both runs ).

sue.hole

reply to rosemary
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 20:37 »
on second thinking - I agree, i would not give cows milk as cows milk is only any good for baby cows really, i'd use goats milk, if i was going to use milk. Mine have porage oats every day in their dry mix, so that is good enough i think. Boiling milk makes it more digestible, that's another good tip.

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
stopped laying?!?!

Started by kellym on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 07:58
by kellym
xx
Why has my hen stopped laying?

Started by Chicken star on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 23:17
by Chicken star
xx
laying has stopped!!

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 21:50
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 39 queries.