Chicken run.

• 5 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chicken run.
« on: July 04, 2008, 13:34 »
arfternoon *tips hat*

I'm looking to get a few more hens and this will mean I need to create a larger perma run for them, well extend what I have.
the current height of the run is 3ft and I have a removable "roof" (remove 6 screws and it slides off) so I can get in there to dig it all over and clean it out. Is 3ft ok for them? I don't want a walk in one as it will be waay too imposing in my garden.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this..

cheers
SG

poultrygeist

Chicken run.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 15:06 »
It'll stop 'em getting too flighty !!  :)

I would personally make it about 4ft so you can put in somethign for them to perch on eg. logs,etc.

They like to get off the ground occasionally for a preen.

Maybe have a taller section where you can make them a climbing frame and slide and swings ?

Rob  8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken run.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 17:19 »
3 ft high should be fine.  Even when my hens are out and about they don't try to jump up on anything - usually  :wink:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chicken run.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:36 »
well I have been looking into chicken runs more and over at the eglu forum I read/saw what I thought were disturbing chicken runs....

for the run floor people are using paving slabs with an inch or 2 of straw/hemcore/etc... and even saw large (ish) gravel. Surely this cannot be good for the chickens feet? Under my run they will have MUD with straw or is it hay, onto of it... am I being daft thinking slabs and gravel are bad??

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Chicken run.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:56 »
Lots of people use slabs with straw over the top as in winter earth runs get very muddy.  Anyone with feathered footed birds should try to keep their chooks feet out of the mud as much as possible.  Using slabs makes it easy to clean out and disinfect and the straw gives them something to scratch around in.  The other advantage of slabs is it keeps toe nails short.

I personally have my chooks in grass runs during the summer then move them to slabbed ones in winter.  They don't seem to come to any harm.

If you have lots of space to move the run around every few days I would go with grass but you may have to reconcider in winter as the grass soon turns to mud in a very short space of time.
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

Roughlee Handled

Chicken run.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 13:17 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
well I have been looking into chicken runs more and over at the eglu forum I read/saw what I thought were disturbing chicken runs....

for the run floor people are using paving slabs with an inch or 2 of straw/hemcore/etc... and even saw large (ish) gravel. Surely this cannot be good for the chickens feet? Under my run they will have MUD with straw or is it hay, onto of it... am I being daft thinking slabs and gravel are bad??

Mine free range over fields and mud patches but the area they like the best is the large (ish) gravel they can move it easy with there feet.  I have stared spreading a little feed there as well.  Mud is ok now but when it comes to winter and you have muddy birds I cant imagine that would be fun for them.  They also have to have something to wear down there toe nails on.  A bit like dogs if your dog does alot of road/pavement walking it will not have to have its claws trimmed.  This is only my opinion and I am still new to this game but I am sure someone will back me up.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken Poo

Started by silver8 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 19:08
by silver8
xx
Chicken and my Cat !!!! Please help

Started by Shoegil on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 10:12
by dizzyfairy
xx
Chicken Poo

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 10:13
by DD.

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 38 queries.