How many eggs does a duck lay?

• 12 Replies

spicerider27

« on: March 19, 2008, 19:52 »
Can someone settle an argument between me and the hubby?  We have four Rouen ducks (three hens and a drake), about a year old, and the hens started laying eggs two days ago.  Do they lay a clutch of eggs only in the spring, or do they lay all spring and summer as long as you collect the eggs?     Hope someone can help :!:

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 21:41 »
hi spicerider27,

we have 3 rouen ducks and 1 drake .one duck has laid all year round :shock:

the other 2 started laying about 2 weeks ago occasionly they miss a day at the mo

we collect the eggs on a daily basis.hope this helps

Jellyhead

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 22:05 »
Hi, I have 4 ducks and 1 drake and they were about 10-12 weeks old when I got them last June. They started to lay in November and I get an egg a day from all 4. Occasionally there may only be 3 but not often. 2 of them lay in the chooks nesting boxes :shock: I collect the eggies every day, they are YUMMY :lol:  :lol:  :lol: PS I didnt know what Rouen ducks were til I just googled them :roll: My drake is one :roll: and my girlies are the same size but white :wink: Lovely :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:33 »
hello there  :D

we have khaki campbells, two ducks and a drake

they started laying end of january and beside an odd day when we had 3 eggs between the two of them, they have consistently laid an egg each a day ever since   :D  :D from what i know so far, the amount of eggs you will get, and how often, is down to the breed

and DAMNED TASTY  they are too ! this may cause uproar  :shock:  lol, but i really wouldn't be bothered if i didn't eat another chicken egg again, i actually haven't bought any (chicken eggs) pretty much since they started laying. i know there's a massive difference, and i mean between shop bought/supermarket and free range, which is basically what i'm referring to, but also the taste is different and the texture - i am hooked lol, made the finest quiche i've ever tasted out of them last week and creme brulee's  . . . .  well . . . . .  heaven dont even come close  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:29 »
I love duck eggs too Dave, yummy.  Have you ever tried goose eggs ? I had a friend who kept a few and they are delicious, you'd love them too  :D

Jellyhead

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 08:58 »
Are goose eggies really strong Aunty. Some people think that duck eggs are too strong but I love em, tho I remember as a kid my dad frying them and I didn't like them  :roll:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 09:00 »
As far as I remember (it was a few years ago) they are very similar to the flavour of duck eggs.  But I like very "tasty" eggs !

Jellyhead

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 09:11 »
Of course and our girls never give us anything less do they 8) bless em :wink:

spicerider27

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 13:42 »
Wow,  thanks alot everyone, its a big help.  I have tried one of the eggs and they are GOOD!  They seem a little richer than chickie eggs, so I'm wondering how they will be in my breads and cookies.

Jellyhead

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 16:52 »
They are fab for cooking with, lighter cakes and gihuge yorkshire puddings :wink:

spicerider27

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 17:20 »
Well, I hope I get lots of them!  But I have one that gets into the horse stall to lay her eggs, hope she starts to lay them in the nests... scrambled eggs anyone? :lol:    Can someone tell me how to get pics in my replies?  It asks for image url.  Guess I'm a lil computer illiterate :shock:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 19:07 »
you need to upload some first onto the internet to a site like photobucket click here which is free to use.

when you want to insert a picture into your post you find the pic' your looking for in your album, click on the box that says IMG Code below the picture, a little yellow box then briefly appears and says ' copied '

go back to the post you are putting up, type what you want type and when you want the picture to go in simply right click your mouse and select ' paste' and the image code will appear as a series of text and numbers below your writing.

e.g
click on the button that says preview (you should see it when you're replying to a post or creating a post) and you'll see the picture there, you can then carry on writing if you wish and insert more pics before you submit it as a completed post.

your picture will appear like this then  . . . . .

you can use the IMG button you've been looking at and trying by just clicking the button then right clicking and choosing paste again, but it will insert these symbols before and after your picture [img] . . . . . [img]
thats why i dont bother using the button itself and just paste the copied text, you can modify it, or one of the mods will do it for you, but its just easier to paste the text straight into your post.

hope i haven't confused you too much lol
 :shock:

spicerider27

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 01:13 »
Thanks!  It is a little confusing, but after I do it a couple times I shouldn t have trouble posting pics.  Thanks again!! :)

xx
wanted mandarin duck eggs and peacock eggs please - wales

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:00
by babe
xx
DUCK EGGS!

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:41
by WR1
xx
Duck eggs

Started by Springlands on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 14:41
by Madclucker
xx
Duck Eggs

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 23:35
by noshed

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 39 queries.