What To Do With This Lettuce??

• 11 Replies

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
What To Do With This Lettuce??
« on: April 02, 2012, 19:13 »
I have germinated a load of mixed lettuce leaves, the end idea is to have them in window type boxes all along the top of a grass embankment we have in our front garden, her is the thing though, now they are germinated I am wondering how the heck I am going to deal with them, as you can see in the photo below there are loads of them which is great but do I need to be doing anything to them now? Surely they will be a bit crampt in there soon?

I don;t think I have sown them in the best tray really any ideas / advice?

Thanks in advance :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: What To Do With This Lettuce??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 19:18 »
Sorry to be a little blunt here, but I think you've sown too many in too warm conditions. They've gone rather leggy.

The warmest I germinate mine in is an unheated greenhouse, and in a few weeks time, hopefully only outdoors.

My lettuce sowing programme is this:

A small pinch in a pot.

Once big enough to handle, transplant into seed tray, (I do 15 in a large tray). At the same time sow another pinch of seed.

Grow the first lot on until they have at least 2 pairs of true leaves, then plant out. Then transplant your second lot of seed into the now empty seed tray and sow a third pinch.

Keep repeating the process and without having to think about it, you're assured of a succession of lettuce rather than a glut.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 19:26 »
Hello DD thanks for your reply, yes I too thought there was a few too many, your advice sounds great I will try this from now on. I am very much a learner to all of this I suppose I was being a little over eager especially with the amount of seed I used I just wanted to make some some sprouted  :lol:

School boy error no doubt there will be a few more of those to come  :D

Thanks again :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 19:29 »
We all started somewhere.

My problem is, it seems that long ago, I can't remember when!

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 23:43 »
They'll prick out ok.  Just don't leave it too long before you get round to it  :)

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:16 »
Thanks for the reply compostqueen, yes this is my plan  for this lot I am going to do it later today, get them all out and into the containers now and shove them in the greenhouse, well not greenhouse mine needs re-glazing it is one of those plasticy thingy me jigs with shelves inside, I grew quite a bit of this and that in it last year once I managed to stop the wind using it as a kite!

I am going to order some polycarbonate in a couple of weeks and re-glaze my "proper" greenhouse, I had to take all the  old glass out as it was juts to fragile, the whole thing is about 3 days older than god though so need to do a bit of work on the structure before re-glazing.

Anyhow enough rambling from me, thanks again :)

mrs mud

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:20 »
As they seem tightly packed I think I would snip off the tops of some of them (rather than pulling some out) then let the rest grow on a bit until big enough to handle, then treat as already mentioned by DD

"Potters always play dirty!"

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:24 »
That sounds like a plan mrs m, as looking at them I don't think they'll stand a lot of handling until they've strengthened up a bit.

mrs mud

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45 »
It's just occurred to me they are mixed lettuce, which I've never grown, so is the thinning out process the same, how do you ensure an even selection when it's a mixed variety?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:47 »
You can't - you just hope!

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 10:57 »
Thanks to all for the replies :)

That does indeed sound like a plan Mrs Mud, they live or die either way it is a learning curve and I have had some great advice for future sowings.

Thanks again :)

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:17 »
You could save yourself pricking them out if you ate them as cut and come again leaves.  It would save you buying those expensive mixed leaves from the supermarket.  Many of us here grow leaves in this way  :)

xx
Little Gem lettuce

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 09:16
by Debz
xx
Lettuce

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 21:03
by gobs
xx
Lettuce

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 17:05
by Kristen
xx
little gem lettuce

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 13:23
by DD.

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 38 queries.