Rabbit Deterrent .... water & Tabasco sauce

• 8 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Rabbit Deterrent .... water & Tabasco sauce
« on: April 21, 2014, 19:08 »
On my allotment there are problems with rabbits, so I am going to make up some fencing, to surround parts of my plot.

Just as a matter of interest I was looking on t'internet about possible deterrents and have come across the use of Tabasco sauce, mixed with water and sprayed on the plants. Other posts mention crushed chilli peppers, which I suppose ids what is in Tabasco sauce.

Has anybody tried this to deter rabbits and more importantly, did it work ?

thanks

BabbyAnn

Re: Rabbit Deterrent .... water & Tabasco sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:36 »
Fortunately I don't have a rabbit problem, but we used to have a family of foxes on the site.  I used to pop a few chicken manure pellets in planting holes of squashes on my first plot with no problems, but on the big plot I came back to see total destruction where plants were dug up  >:(  I managed to replant most only to find them dug up again and worse, quite a lot were beyond recovery.  I was so angry, I got chilli powder and dusted the perimeter of the beds and especially round my squash plants .... the fox left them alone after that  ;)

diospyros

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:04 »
Co-incidentally, I was wondering about this the other day - are "deterrents" covered by the same legislation that makes home-made pesticides illegal?  I was thikning of trying a strong infusion of mint tea to confuse cabbage whites.

Agatha

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:44 »
Do you think chilli powder/tabasco would work on deer too?  They are destroying everything in my garden - took all the heads off my tulips last week and just left them on the ground - wouldn't have minded so much if they had actually eaten them!  I know some people used to recommend creosote-soaked rags (when you were allowed to use it) as the smell put them off, so I wondered if chilli powder would have the same effect?
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 14:18 »
Why don't you give it a try. and let us know how it works.

Although Tabasco is probably the well known brand, others are available too, like this one (Grace brand)  in Asda, for 69p which I also saw this morning in my local Sainsbury's (although not showing on their web site)

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shopping/findproducts.aspx?query=pepper%20sauce&store=ASDA
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 14:19 by wbmkk »

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 18:29 »
Anyone tried Tabasco or chilli on the ****** mice??!

Cheers HH
Keep digging

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 18:39 »
Anyone tried Tabasco or chilli on the ****** mice??!

Cheers HH

Birds do not have the receptors to feel the heat of capsaicin found in chillies, so several sites such as the RSPB recommend dosing bird feed with chilli powder to stop rats or squirrels from eating it.  So with regards to all mammalian pests, I see no reason why it wouldn't work but not on say, pigeons

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 21:09 »
dare i say it, but getting someone go lamping for a couple of nights would be a good deterrent.

bigben

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 19:27 »
I have often used it to mask the smell of germinating peas so the mice do not dig them all up. I like to think of them suffering chilli burn but I think it probably just disguises the smell so they leave the peas alone. A dusting of curry powder will do the same thing.

Some of the old boys on my site suggested rolling the peas in a bit of paraffin but I dont fancy eating anything that has started life dipped in paraffin.

xx
Ripe tabasco chilli - 2mm long!

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 16:08
by sunshineband
xx
Cat deterrent

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 09:39
by mumofstig
xx
Mice Deterrent?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2019, 19:02
by Kleftiwallah
xx
slug Deterrent

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 20:12
by Aidy

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.