Chickens dying

• 5 Replies

gailtearle

Chickens dying
« on: June 08, 2013, 22:35 »
 Hi has anyone any ideas what could be happening to my crooks , I had three one died suddenly about two months ago and then another last month , I only have one left now and am very worried about her they were very healthy but not laying for a while , very reluctant to get anymore in case same happens , anyone any ideas please

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Chickens dying
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 22:54 »
When you say suddenly why do you mean? Were there any signs at all before they died? How old are they? Where do they roam - could they have eaten anything they shouldn't have?

Can certainly understand your reluctance to get anymore until you know what's going on but your remaining hen is likely to be very lonely.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 23:11 »
From earlier posts, looks like you chickens could be nearly 3 years old.  If they are hybrids, they could be coming to the end of their lives anyway.

Hybrids are only bred to live for around 2 years, so anything more is a bonus.  I know some live longer than that, but not all of them.

Other than that, have they been eating and drinking okay.  Any strange behaviour?  You did mention before that you were getting soft shelled eggs, when was the last time they laid an egg?

gailtearle

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 10:39 »
There have been no signs at all of any illness,s ,they were eating and drinking ok , didn't realise they only live that long , haven't had any eggs for a couple of weeks now but didn't have anymore soft eggs . Really feel for the remaining one but she seems happy enough they roam in the bottom of the garden and have done since day one. Is it cruel to keep her on her own , just really didn't want to start with more , and can't bare to rehome her as she is so friendly , thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:26 »
If you spend plenty of time with your hen and she is happy that is fine.  One of our members 'nerdle' had one hen and she was very happy.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 17:07 »
Hello!  My lone hybrid was such a happy girl I'm certain of it.  Was talking to day to someone who had just one girl left and she was fine too.  Maybe because these hens could roam the whole garden.  I'm a wedding photographer and met him when I did his daughter's wedding.  Took a pic of this lone hen and they ordered a big print !!!! We love them so much.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 21:33 by nerdle »
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

xx
Dying chickens

Started by Spacey on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 21:04
by Spacey
xx
Dying chickens

Started by bacchus51 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 12:06
by joyfull
xx
Dying Chickens

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:33
by Vember
xx
My chickens are getting splayed legs and dying!!

Started by Richard Boomer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 16:32
by Spana

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 38 queries.