indestructable dog toys

• 8 Replies

dmg

indestructable dog toys
« on: January 06, 2014, 00:10 »
I have tried loads of 'indestructible' toys for my 2 dogs and they don't last very long.
Does anyone have any recommendations for hard wearing  toys that will actually last.
My dogs are a large collie/akita cross- Holly and a springer spaniel - Bella
Holly likes they pull rope type toys and Bella likes more the throw and fetch toys.

Thanks
Dmg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: indestructable dog toys
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:12 »
the black Kong toys are stronger than the red ones (they are recommended for strong chewers such as staffies and mastiffs), they aren't totally indestructible but certainly last longer. Also Kong make a Kong wubba which is a squeaky toy with tails - this has so far lasted my 4 dogs since Christmas day and although it has lost two of it's tails in their tuggy games the squeak and the rest of it is still going strong. Also they make a rubber stick called a safe stix which is good for two dogs (or human and 1 dog) to play tug (and far safer than a stick or branch which can splinter and get stuck in the dogs throat.
B & M stores also do strong tuggy toys in the shape of a rope block with a handle (see photo) which is heavier and bigger than most tug toys - it costs about £3-4 pounds. It is about a 4 inch sized cube plus handle.
For balls look out for the Indestructible Balls (on Ebay and Amazon) mine have a football sized one and it lasted 10 years and would have still been going strong but got run over by Jim on our digger.
For outdoor tugging try a car tyre tied on a rope to a tree if you have a strong tree - I tied one to a willow tree but that was too bendy and worried our Rosie so next time I shall tie it to a stronger thick branch.

photo (14).JPG
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:14 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 10:50 »
the black Kong toys are stronger than the red ones (they are recommended for strong chewers such as staffies and mastiffs), they aren't totally indestructible but certainly last longer. 

+1 . Max has all black kong stuff, I bought an 'indestructible' tug toy he just chewed up the rope in minutes.

The good boy bone lasts about 6 months of chewing, playing fetch and tug-of-war with, it's his favourite. His kongs are nearly a year old now and showing no sign of wear at all. I put biscuit treats in them slightly larger than the hole which keeps him busy for while.

The Kong tennis balls last about a day  :(  and their solid rubber ball is a bit heavy for play inside but started to look like a golf ball with all the tooth marks in about a week.

If you haven't seem them it might be worth looking at stag bars, Max would chew on his for so long his gums would bleed.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:56 »
I've got red kong for the hound and so far so good. The ropes seem dangerous to me so I avoid them. Pully toys make him go mental so I try and steer clear of them  :lol:  The kong toy which you can stuff with peanut butter (or whatever gunk it is) is very popular with him.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 15:42 »
Another vote for the kong.  Our Penny has 2 red ones, had them for several years now and not destroyed yet.  One is like a ball, the other one more bone shaped, but both are supposed to be good for her teeth.

Everything else she chews in seconds.

She did have a black one, but I think it went into the dyke at the back of us, never to be seen again!  :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 22:05 by GrannieAnnie »

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 17:12 »
my lab's favourite toys are the grand-kids and he has not destroyed one yet.
Seriously - all kong products seem to be good as does the end of the heavy climbing rope  in the apple tree. Orvis are a favourite supplier of mine for men's clothes and they often have dogs toys in their catalogue and webpage -- said to be teflon or kevlar or some such stuff and said to be indestructible. Not cheap though.
R

dmg

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 20:57 »
Thanks for all the help everyone.
 I will try out the kong range and see how they are with them.

Dmg

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:12 »
New ball 2 days old and still going  :ohmy:  Other than the kong solid ball everything I've given to Max gets killed very quickly. A friend bought him one of these Orka Tennis Ball As I unwrapped it I thought it would  be dead in minutes but it's still  going 2 days on  :)

It's hollow and bounces so it's light enough to throw in the house. Worth a try if like me your tennis balls don't come back in 1 piece.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:19 »

A punctured (but no apparent hole) old leather football keeps my son's dog happy when they visit.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Gerbil toys

Started by Raven81 on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 19:48
by spottymint

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.