It's pay day next week..... should I buy a Sickle?

• 4 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Hooray!  It's payday next week and as usual I'm already looking at bits of kit I can spend my dosh on.  We have a push/pull mower at our plot but was wondering about getting a sickle to cut back edges of grass and those big clumps that come up seemingly overnight that the mower won't go over.  We also have a walk in netted tunnel which is difficult to keep clear around the edges.

The thing is it looks like quite a scary tool to use.  I've had a look on youtube about technique and sharpening the blade but would like the good advice that I always get here.  Cheers!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: It's pay day next week..... should I buy a Sickle?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 06:25 »
I'm not sure that shears wouldn't be better around your tunnel, as I'd be worried of damaging it with a mis-sweep of the scything action.

That apart, have you considered a scythette rather than a sickle; they're easier on the back. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

DaveJNeal

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 06:53 »
+1 on the sickle/scythe - they're great for clearing a meadow or other wide open space, not great for cleaning up to walls, trees, polys, etc.

shears or weed slasher or maybe cordless strimmer ?

best of luck.

Dave

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 07:44 »
Thanks guys!  I've had a look at both scythes and slashers as well as sickles.  The thing is I'm only 5ft tall (ish if I stand up really straight) and the thought of me wielding a sharp blade on a stick almost the same height as me fills me with terror!  The technique I found on youtube for using a sickle looked like you grabbed the length of grass and then sort of 'swished' through it near to the ground.  Actually, as you've both pointed out, none of those tools are ideal for using around the edges of our brand new 'walk in wonderwall'.  I would not be popular if I cut the netting.

I shall ponder further during my bouts of insomnia, tea drinking and internet surfing!

Cheers!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 09:49 »
Thanks guys!  I've had a look at both scythes and slashers as well as sickles.  The thing is I'm only 5ft tall (ish if I stand up really straight) and the thought of me wielding a sharp blade on a stick almost the same height as me fills me with terror! 

I don't blame you. :D You'll find the scythette is a smaller tool. ;)

xx
how to sharpen a grass sickle

Started by crymlyn on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 21:55
by muntjac
xx
How do use a hand sickle / sythe ?

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 21:59
by EddieJ
xx
Italian hand sickle.

Started by jaycee on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 07:40
by jaycee

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.