Scaffold Poles or Wooden Posts

• 3 Replies

drippytap

Scaffold Poles or Wooden Posts
« on: August 13, 2018, 15:48 »
Hi
Recently extended my mainly veg plot into the adjoining allotment to grow fruit. Planning to grow two plum trees as fans along one side and a row of apples/pears as cordons along another.
Have to dig holes to support the posts - no cement policy on site.
So as I see it use wooden posts - 3mtrs - buried one metre and packed with stones or ditto but use scaffold posts
The later more for the plums to get extra height.
I’m looking for advice really on benefits/pit falls/tips on erecting posts/piles and lengthening their respective lifespans
Soil is flint after 10” or so and after one trial hole I have enough stones to put back!!
Any help always welcome

Lardman

Re: Scaffold Poles or Wooden Posts
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 16:13 »
You could also use metposts giving you metal in the soil and wood above they're also easy to move should you need to, the spikes however will roughly double your costs and aren't wonderful under horizontal load.

I'm looking at replacing mine (3x3" and metposts) with type B (33mm) galvanised tube (not full scaffolding size) and tube clamps. I'm tired of painting the posts, trying to straighten them back to vertical and birds sitting on them pooing on fruit below  :mad: .

drippytap

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 16:55 »
How are you erecting your scaffolding pole into the ground and are you bracing it as well? Are you also going to plug the ends to stop water filling the tube up ? I am a belt and braces plus double knot type of guy when it comes to building things !!

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 18:08 »
I'm growing in the garden so I don't have the concrete concerns, They make specific sockets I was planning on using those and a full width brace at the top.  I don't see a reason why 45 degree braces at the bottom wouldn't work, I suppose it depends on the span and the tension applied to the wires. 

They sell end stops for the open ends of tubes. There are actually lots of fittings available, here's a link for the 33mm ones. https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/fast-order-tube-clamp-33-7mm

I'm also toying with the idea of making the vertical posts T shaped so I can attack attach netting down the sides along the entire length to keep pests off the fruit.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 18:56 by Lardman »

xx
Treating Wooden Posts

Started by bigplantpot on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 18:01
by bigplantpot
xx
Advice Needed - Wooden Posts!

Started by GardenShed on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 13:17
by GardenShed
xx
Hazel poles

Started by Alex 98 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 22:22
by matron
xx
Scaffold bars?

Started by infowarrior on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 08:34
by Will1983

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 38 queries.