Onions from seed - 2018

• 133 Replies

arh

Re: Onions from seed - 2018
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 15:50 »
My Sturon seeds will be going in a planter in the spare bedroom, (under glass until they are about 2" tall, then into the garden room, which is insulated, but with the heating off it stays at approx 10c), on Saturday. I'll try and post a photo next week  for reference purposes.

rowlandwells

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 19:00 »
been away for a couple of days  back home and  toiling with the idea of starting some onion seed of in a propagator  got Globo and Robinsons mammoth red and white sounds like some of you have already been sowing onion seed

Q. having sowed the seed in a tray in the  propagator  should I sow in damp compost? and hopefully when they get to the crock stage prick out into pots

Q. after potting on do the plants need heat to keep them going in my greenhouse

I ask these questions because I've always sowed onion around mid February but I suspect the early sowings get bigger bulbs?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 09:42 »
been away for a couple of days  back home and  toiling with the idea of starting some onion seed of in a propagator  got Globo and Robinsons mammoth red and white sounds like some of you have already been sowing onion seed

Q. having sowed the seed in a tray in the  propagator  should I sow in damp compost? and hopefully when they get to the crock stage prick out into pots

Q. after potting on do the plants need heat to keep them going in my greenhouse

I ask these questions because I've always sowed onion around mid February but I suspect the early sowings get bigger bulbs?

I sow into a small seed tray and prick them out into modules, but I leave them to develop a 2nd leaf first.  If that takes a while, a weak liquid feed can keep them going in the seed tray.

An unheated greenhouse is not ideal at first.  They don't need a lot of warmth, but frost free is a minimum, plus good light levels. 

Maybe try a few seeds and see how you get on, then you have some backup for Feb sowings.

rowlandwells

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 14:11 »
 your reply noted new shoot will give it a go I presume you mean sowing to commence asap many thanks

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 16:27 »
I sowed mine at home last year and soon as they germinated I transfered them to my unheated polytunnel, coddled in bubble wrapped propagators (as pictured) They grew well despite the frosts we had.
DSC00004.JPG
DSC00003.JPG

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 19:26 »
I've used the foil on cardboard idea on the spare bedroom window and it works pretty well. Ailsa Craig were good for me and Yellow Rijnsburger. The latter are such a nice looking onion, both growing and in store.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 21:11 »
I usually grow onions from seed but had trouble germinating Red Barons last year so resorted to sets, not the same ! Am trying Red Brunswick, Ailsa Craig and Rignsburger this coming year and more of them as I had ate all mine by Christmas :tongue2:
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

ApprenticeGardener82

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 22:38 »
I grew from sets and seed last year having all round good results. Definitely will be planting a few trays of seed that are destined for the kitchen window, OH will love that!  :wacko: how she loves a tidy kitchen!

rowlandwells

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 16:28 »
for those of you that have gone with the cardboard and foil method I can remember a friend of ours making a wooden box lining the inside with aluminium foil with a light bulb fixed on the top centre presumably it was the same idea as yours for propagation heat and extra light

perhaps this mite be a better idea when the onions have germinated to put them in the box and I'm not sure how big the box would need to be for the coverage of the light bulb

but as said some of you have just put the seedlings in the poly tunnel covered in bubble wrap depending on the replies I mite consider making a propagator box  :unsure:

Mr Dog

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 12:26 »
My giant onions are coming along nicely, 7-9" tall now with some Heath-Robinson supports added.
IMG_20180110_120014434_HDR.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 14:13 »
They look like they are doing well  :)

I had to re-sow after the first lot of seed failed  :(  Internet supplier, but fresh stock (or so they reckon  :unsure:).

Anyway, Suttons to the rescue, as I was ordering something.  I can see little signs of life already  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 17:45 »
there really forward Mr Dog and look strong plants I hope my seed looks like those in several weeks time what a picture  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 18:44 »
They look like they are doing well  :)

I had to re-sow after the first lot of seed failed  :(  Internet supplier, but fresh stock (or so they reckon  :unsure:).

Anyway, Suttons to the rescue, as I was ordering something.  I can see little signs of life already  :)

I bought my Globos from Sutton and sowed on 26th Dec but no sign of life yet despite greenhouse not dropping below 8C in that time
Leeks (Lincoln) likewise

Do I hang on? Do I start again?

What d'you reckon?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 19:23 »
Hmm Sunny that’s a tough 1, you don’t want to end up with too many but how long to leave it could you pre chit some of the same seed to see what germination is like?
My sister in law is ordering me 40 kelsae seedlings, never ordered any before, a bit of a cheat I know but will make a change.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 20:04 »
I bought my Globos from Sutton and sowed on 26th Dec but no sign of life yet despite greenhouse not dropping below 8C in that time
Leeks (Lincoln) likewise

Do I hang on? Do I start again?

What d'you reckon?
I thought they needed +10C  to germinate, so maybe not consistently warm enough?

xx
Seed suppliers bad year 2018?

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2018, 20:05
by mumofstig
xx
Onions from seed

Started by GrowinGrowinGone on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 07:26
by spuriousmonkey
xx
Onions from seed.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 07:20
by sunshineband
xx
onions from seed

Started by littlepete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 10:54
by BrianK

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 55 queries.