Morning all :)

• 222 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Morning all :)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 10:29 »
I'm working later, so am having a relaxing morning.  I've just watered the greenhouse and cold frame stuff, plus all the pots.  It's beautiful out there  :D

chillimummy

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 11:14 »
Off to plot again today after a lovely day at plot yesterday with a friend for company. Sun cream today though after yesterday  ;)
If energy left later then will cut the grass in my back garden too ::)
Work tom unfortunately but weekend off so pleeeease can it stay sunny as I finally feel like I catching up with jobs on plot  :D   
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 16:56 »
Mornings, it's a lovely sunny one, so deffo a plot visit on the cards.
If I can still move after that I might pop into town and take the library books back - rather than hit the renew button again  :lol:

Mum, is the library still off Tufton Street, opposite the park?

Quite busy back when I used it...

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 18:02 »
Was a day at the zoo in beautiful sunshine with our little granddaughter today after 5 hours at the plot in the sunshine yesterday, as you say madcat I’m just not used to, I too was shattered last night, I was in bed by 9.30 lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 21:45 »
O what a lovely morning the suns shining the birds are singing decorating is on hold for the time being yippee collected my trailer of horse manure unloaded it down the allotment a wire post had rotted of so I replaced that thought its heating up time to take it easy bit of lunch five minuets in the chair

got back to the house with the tractor to swop the trailer onto the car to take back then it happened panic stations the wife came out in a panic the greenhouses where getting hot plants where dropping there heads with the heat she watered all the floors

now I usually put anti UV nets on the greenhouses but the instant hot weather court me out this time so it was a quick trip back to the farm drop the trailer get home and start putting the shading on the greenhouse it took us around two hours to complete the job but it has made things a lot better in the greenhouse I thought we had lost all our plants when I seen them but there all come back there's a load of bedding just potted on and all my veg plants in the greenhouse I would have been very mad if I had lost them to the sun after all that rain

anyway happy days ploughing the allotments tomorrow getting prepared for planting potatoes  broad beans and onion  next week weather permitting crack on ming mong  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 22:40 »
Mornings, it's a lovely sunny one, so deffo a plot visit on the cards.
If I can still move after that I might pop into town and take the library books back - rather than hit the renew button again  :lol:
Mum, is the library still off Tufton Street, opposite the park?
Quite busy back when I used it...
It's a new building on Church Rd with the entrance opposite the park gates :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 08:32 »
Another lovely sunny morning, and after yesterday's efforts on the plot I would be happy to just sit outside all day  8)
But...... lots of non-gardening things to do today *sigh* but I'm hoping, at least, to get the garden lawn cut - it's dry at last! Woo hoo!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 08:52 »
Yup - first lawn mowing of the year today, and if it's anything like last year I'm not looking forward to it (lots of moss which never dries out when the grass is long - it clogs everything up and means you have to stop every few yards to clear it out.  :mad:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

madcat

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 09:37 »
Ah yes - yesterday was our first mowing.  Preceded by the mower service as we didn't get the 'last' cut off in the autumn which should have been followed by the clean up for the winter ...  Result, clippings set like concrete and lots of swearing.  ::)  The blade looked like it had been chewed!  Hey ho - there is a lot that can't be mowed yet because of the bulbs and the primulas so it wasn't that drastic a job.

Today ... actually get to the pricking out that I didnt do yesterday ... where did the day go?  :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Christine

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 15:42 »
Yup - first lawn mowing of the year today, and if it's anything like last year I'm not looking forward to it (lots of moss which never dries out when the grass is long - it clogs everything up and means you have to stop every few yards to clear it out.  :mad:)
Weed, feed, moss kill. Scarify. Collector mower to clear. Get one of those spikes and do the walking dance all over the lawn to add drainage. Reseed with grass as necessary. At least it won't happen next year too. Alright I can hear your groans but no gain without pain. I'm going - I'm doing the above so appreciate the work.  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 18:12 »
As you know, we're vacating The Patch in the Autumn, and a strange and very special coincidence is unfolding...

There's been an enquiry at The Parish for a plot, and in fact there are only two free now - both utterly derelict and real beasts - full of couch a yard high and bindweed which covers the shed!

The Parish emailed me with the enquiry, (I help out now and then) and it turns out that it's a family we know a little, who have very young children and a small garden at home. We know it's a small garden, as they live in the very house we used to live in until we moved here!

So I'm showing them round tomorrow morning - they're a charming young family, and it would suit us for them to start right away, rather than they get demoralised over dealing with the awful jungle of the other two plots! I reckon there's nearly a year's clearing for a working family on either plot, which is not that fantastic a prospect whichever way you look at it!

We'll not see any of our Patch unused (as some bits would have been), and they can get going immediately! What could be better! I have lots of tools they can have, as they were handed down to me by another retiring gardener, and they can share all the rasps, blackcurrants, redcurrants, tayberries, etc and have the lot after October!

Fingers crosed anyway, I'll let you know how I get on!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 08:15 »
That sounds like an ideal solution for you both Growster  :D

I've got the whole weekend off so planning a plot visit early on before it gets too hot, then a play round the garden, seedling shuffling and then maybe more seeds.  A perfick day for me  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 17:36 »
I hope that’s works out for you Growster,sounds a perfect solution. I was very saddened to read your first post about giving the patch but I know it’s a sensible idea. It made me worry about when I will need to give mine up, I was hoping to have a drive by when I’m in a box lol.

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 06:17 »
It's all worked out well!

A new, young family are going to take over 'The Patch' in the Autumn, but they're going to start right now, and get some of the season's sowing and planting away immediately! Everything is sorted, The Parish are happy, we're very happy, and best of all, there is a new generation getting to grips with one of our favourite bits of our village!

When the building work at The Turrets has finished this week, and we can get the dentist appointment in Rye over and done with, well, Mrs Growster and I might just celebrate with a small tincture or three..;0)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 07:48 »
Glad it all worked out  :D

I'm off to the plot in a bit to put up my new mesh covered growing frame (winterval gift) and generally muck about a bit.  We has thunder storms late on last night, so everything is a bit damp and drippy at the moment.

xx
This morning I woke up...

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post November 25, 2020, 12:18
by mrs bouquet
xx
Macmillan Coffee Morning

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2019, 17:02
by Pescador
xx
Early Morning Club

Started by Ma Lowe on Chatting on the Plot

2706 Replies
Last post July 03, 2019, 20:35
by Paul Plots
xx
Mobile having a funny turn this morning..

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2023, 12:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 56 queries.