Can chickens eat meat or not?... bit confused

• 21 Replies

Vickie & Richard

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 14:11 »
I personally wouldn't give strap meat to my girls, not only would the dog get very upset but i would be concerned about the salt content.  I have given my girls the occasional pouch of cheap cat (tuna and not chicken i must add!!) when i had one recovering from a dog attack and i also treated the other girls for a little boost for them.  Them loved it!

RichardA

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 14:17 »
Our DUCKS (yes i know the question was about Chooks) occasionally get fish skins and meat scraps chopped up small and even other scraps such as rice or noodles etc. When it comes to slugs snails etc the ducks line up for them if they see me in the garden and I can whistle them to the gate.
R
Oh I do wish this webpage had spell check on its forum pages.
R

betty

• Experienced Member
meat
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 15:49 »
I am from the USA, I know that there  are no laws against feeding chickens scraps of any kind.  When I cook their meat, I don't add any salt or seasoning to it.  I think there is more salt and other ingr. in the cat food.  I think deer meat is more healthy for myself and my chickens, than store bought food anyhow you slice it.  Over here we are aloud 3 deer with a rifel, and bow,muzzel,ect. so we never eat store bought meat.  I have to say, it's by choice as far as feeding it to chickens, I know a few people who feed this way. NO problems, in fact only improvements.  And I sell eggs that are HUGE.  In the summer I see a big differance in size because I don't give it to them.  They just free range, and still go to the coop for reg. food and water. If you can try feeding them some type of meat, you will see improvements in all over health. It's the protein.  And for some reason to they don't peck each others feathers. Sorry so long, I just find this to be an  interesting subject.  yf Betty  :idea:

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 20:09 »
Thanks for all the interesting answers! I have been giving them all my  veg offcuts (boiled) they seem to love Cauliflower best of all (for some strange reason  :?:  I only like it covered in cheese  :D  ) .. they like it warm as well so not too fussy then - or am I pandering to them lol. ....Sage, Black, Blue and Parsley.

So I will not worry too much if I bung in the odd bit of beef fat - gravy etc left on the families plate!

Poor old rabbits are loosing out though they have always thought all the left over veg was theirs!!!!!! 'WRONG' !!!!!! have to share now!!!  :D

Being serious it is an interesting subject thanks for the input and thanks for the welcome!

Trina x
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
bad eggs?
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 21:14 »
I really cannot see sense in saying your own kitchen veg scraps can do any harm. After all we eat our own eggs and were fine so, really is there anything wrong in giving your eggs away and if someone wants to give you a donation for your chickens wellwafe is this wrong?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: bad eggs?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 22:10 »
Quote from: "BestBreast"
I really cannot see sense in saying your own kitchen veg scraps can do any harm. After all we eat our own eggs and were fine so, really is there anything wrong in giving your eggs away and if someone wants to give you a donation for your chickens wellwafe is this wrong?

Not in my opinion, I think the biggest problem is a lot of these "rules" are put through with the farmer in mind, not the bod who's got a doz hens and sells his surplus eggs.  Like I've said hens are omnivores so a bit of meat should do no harm, problem comes when the big boys start feeding sheep to cows etc  :roll: thats when we need these rules.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

betty

• Experienced Member
meat
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 22:37 »
:wink: Couldn't have said it better Richie.

xx
Best chickens for meat? And meat bird tips please!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 22:31
by pushrod
xx
Chickens for meat?

Started by spud on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 27, 2006, 13:51
by muntjac
xx
Chickens for meat

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 08:31
by Sassy
xx
best chickens for eggs and meat

Started by zackyb on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 08:58
by Sassy

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 38 queries.