Chillies

• 28 Replies

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
Chillies
« on: January 27, 2012, 17:52 »
Hi

What type of chillies will you be growing this year.

I love chillies ,I only started growing fruit and veg  last year and only grew prairie fire from wilko's,small red hot and loads of them.

I've just bought a selection pack from wilko,6 varieties Anaheim,Cayenne,Fresno,Hungarian Hot Wax,Jalapeno and Rokita as I want a greater choice and some which are a bit milder and larger.

I also  grew some bell peppers but they were not as successful,and Aubergines which were a waste of time

Thanks Carl

gobs

Re: Chillies
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 18:12 »
I do not know yet. We don't use too much chillie and a couple of plants can provide oodlos of fruit. But definitely growing Peters or Packers or whatever they are called.

Sweet peppers are trickier, but not that hard. They need warmer than toms, most won't do anything just so outside here. Aubergines can be really trying. But do not give up if you like them, it's possible.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 19:24 »
Pretty in Purple being sown this weekend  ;)

GingerH

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 20:03 »
I usually have a couple jalapeno plants that tend to have about five peppers on them. I also grew a habanero plant last year but it didn't produce any peppers until the very end and then it got too cold. I guess I need to plant it earlier or plant them in some fiberglass planters so I can take them into the house in the winter. I'd like to plant some banana peppers this year too.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 16:44 by GingerH »
Ginger - diggin' in the garden

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 21:03 »
I grow Superchilli every year because they're nice and zingy, dead easy to grow and give an enormous crop for very little effort or space. From a couple of quite small plants in 8 or 10" pots I can easily keep us in chillis all year, and we do eat a lot of chillis.

And every year I grow one or two other types to try them out. Year before last I did cayenne (ok but a bit mild), last year fataalii (needs better summer than we had last year, not a single chilli but I've overwintered one plant) and this year I'm doing peach habanero. And this year I've got a polytunnel to put them in, so fingers crossed the season will be long enough to get a crop from both fataalii and habanero.

RobertSongs

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 22:25 »
I started some Bhut Jolokia (saved seed from tesco) in the airing cupboard between a wet paper towel inside a zip lock bag, they germinated in two days so today i`ve been and bought some John Innes 1 and have potted three up and put them on the kitchen windowsill covered with a plastic bag..i will be doing the same with what i call everyday chilli`s (jalapeno i think) from morrisons ya know the ones where ya get three green ones and a red one in a pack for about £1.50..I have also saved some seed from the dried chillis in bags from asda`s world food isle they are lovely long thin jobbies with good heat and a lot of flavour, similar to a kashmiri...I grew too many varieties last year from online traders that seemed like a good idea at the time but they were more suited to stuffing than chucking in a curry..so this year i will just grow what i know we will use in the kitchen  because its all saved seed from what we use already..I`ve got a 12 pot aquapot system to go in my tunnel this year so am chomping at the bit.!! :wacko:
The Quest For Curry Leaf Continues

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 22:39 »
I've gone for:

Californian Wonder
Frenso
Jalapeno
Numex
Demon Red
Sweet Romano
Hot Thai Culinary (Cayanne I think)

I'm also going to need something mind blowingly hot I think

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 22:41 »
I grow Superchilli every year because they're nice and zingy, dead easy to grow and give an enormous crop for very little effort or space. From a couple of quite small plants in 8 or 10" pots I can easily keep us in chillis all year, and we do eat a lot of chillis.

That sounds very interesting! Is "Superchilli" a variety/brand, or have you created it yourself using weapons-grade plutonium? It certainly sounds too good to be true!!

If you could point me in the direction of where to pick some up I'd be very grateful; I'm thinking of growing some chilis/peppers this year (they were my first ever foray into growing my own when I lived in a flat with no outdoor space whatsoever, so it would be nice).
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

Woodhousemoor

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 22:42 »
Will be growing Scotch Bonnets and a mixed pack of what is promised to be super hot chillies.
Dig it!!!! ♥♥ :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 22:48 »
Alberto's Locoto (Realseeds) for me because they look so fleshy and I think they may store well in the freezer.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 23:53 »
I grew those this year, and still have a couple in the greenhouse which I'm trying to over-winter. They are small, bright red, bottle shaped fruits with black seeds. Not very hot.  They grow very big, like a tree, apparently  :)

I grew peach habanero last year and it got me into all sorts of trouble.  Don't handle it with bare hands I beg you!

Biala Shipka is a hot one, and very prolific, plus you can save the seeds  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 01:01 »

That sounds very interesting! Is "Superchilli" a variety/brand, or have you created it yourself using weapons-grade plutonium? It certainly sounds too good to be true!!

If you could point me in the direction of where to pick some up I'd be very grateful; I'm thinking of growing some chilis/peppers this year (they were my first ever foray into growing my own when I lived in a flat with no outdoor space whatsoever, so it would be nice).

Superchilli are one of the easiest and most reliable varieties to grow. Even in last year's awful summer I still got a big crop from just a couple of plants, and I'm still using the dried chillis from 2010 when we had a good summer. They are small enough to grow on a windowsill if you want to. They are an RHS recommended variety, so they shouldn't be too hard to get hold of. I know Nicky's Nursery and Thompson & Morgan both sell them, and you can sometimes find them on ebay too.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 01:30 »
I grew those this year, and still have a couple in the greenhouse which I'm trying to over-winter. They are small, bright red, bottle shaped fruits with black seeds. Not very hot.  They grow very big, like a tree, apparently  :)

I grew peach habanero last year and it got me into all sorts of trouble.  Don't handle it with bare hands I beg you!

Biala Shipka is a hot one, and very prolific, plus you can save the seeds  :)
I'm going to try for that this year CQ. Glad they're not too hot but hoping they won't get too huge as going to overwinter them in Mum's conservatory!  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28 »
I think they make trees and that they get trimmed up at Christmas. Have a look on Google images  :D

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 12:01 »
I've grown several varieities of chillies over the years and , for what it's worth, this is how I got on with them:

Lemon Drop - nice , slight citrus tang to medium hot fruit. Quite productive - a lax plant so tends to droop
Anaheim - nice fruit for stuffing and drying, low yield on quite large plants
Friar's Cap - large plants but in that year I had not one fruit set. It flowered - but all buds dropped. I will try again though.
Cherrybomb - I struggled to get fruit big enough to use, all very small and low yield
Apache - stunning plant. Compact and neat, productive and easy and medium to hot tasty fruits. My favourite.
Scotch bonnet - you'll know this is a hot one - and I found it to be so though low yielding and small fruits.
Habanero - note spelling ;) - similar in habit to Scotch Bonnet but very pretty peach fruits with a lovely hot flavour.
Cayenne - decent sized plants with only a moderate yield and nothing special in terms of flavour/ heat

I grow in pots outdoors. I have had little success with them in the borders. They like to be kept on the dry side and don't overfeed. I have no greenhouse at all so mine are grown on the pation, in pots like I say, in a sunny west facing West London garden.

Though Apache is, for me, the best chilli around I have masses dried, frozen and as chilli flakes so this year I will grow Habanero as it's so pretty, Friar's Cap (also known as Friar's Hat as it beat me last time I grew it and I want a challenge and another variety - yet to be decided - I'm watching this thread for recommendations!!
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

xx
Chillies

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 14:32
by penance
xx
chillies

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 09:35
by siandc
xx
Chillies

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 18:25
by mashauk
xx
chillies

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 21:19
by mobilekat

Page created in 0.531 seconds with 40 queries.