skip diving leads to great things!

• 41 Replies

SkyeEnt

Re: skip diving leads to great things!
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 23:58 »
We used to have community skips in the glen once a month   :D  Usually filled within about two hours of arriving and overfilled by far by the following day.  Amongst the more interesting items we've retrieved were a working VAX upright vaccuum cleaner (we think the thermal trip went and the owners thought it was broken - passed onto another good home since it was a little noisy & we didn't need it :)) An old stationary engine which turns OK but we haven't tried running yet :wub:, A load of 'old lady' furnishings and bedding, not new or particularly to our taste, but I'm thinking of some to charity shops, and having a go at braided rag rug making.  The most annoying thing I saw were books, that someone else (presumably) had then put wet paint on  :mad:  Unfortunately council cuts mean no more skips & we do miss them! :(

Ema

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 22:37 »
I e to take my cardboard to the tip/recycling centre and often have a nosey in the wood skip etc

Paul Plots

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 21:24 »

Shore up the sides?

Ever noticed the sign on the side saying 'Level load only' or 'NO asbestos'?  ;)

I never said it was right, just that it happens!

I do something similar when presented with a buffet and inadequately-sized plates...
:)

sav

:lol: 
Two plates and a friend who likes going up for a natter.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

stuart curran

• bargain basement gardener
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 10:31 »
working on a building site at a grand house i noticed a heated argument when the skip lorry turned up first thing in the morning the evening previous the gardener had thrown lots old pots and tools out and some plants as he was clearing some sheds our labourer had spotted them and was helping himself as the lorry turned up with the driver screaming at him that's ours once it is in the skip then all hell braking loose as the argument raged pots flying people ducking with me sitting on the scaffolding laughing then the gardener arrived with more items to add with both driver and labourer racing to claim the contents of the barrow at which point the gardener who was a large burly ex grenadier guard grabbed both of them stopping them in there tracks and proclaiming the skip to be loaded on the lorry and the labourer to follow him back to yet another shed which was full of vintage pots and other gardening items the gardener explained how annoyed he was with the owner of the house who had ordered all the sheds to be emptied of all the old items and the sheds to be flattened to make way for a swimming pool and if he could find a use for it he can have it all  the war of the skip was over with driver leaving believing he had won  and a labourer with the task of getting all his new finds home including a shed that was to big for his garden and the gardener who later that year got a new house and sheds at the other end of the estate        SKIPS BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:37 by stuart curran »

Sweetpea C

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38 »
So, having visited the skip several times at the house renovation, I am now on first name terms with the people working on the house. They are saving any wood they don't want (for my logburner) and having invited myself in I asked what they were doing with the patio slabs... rplacing them - joy of joy they are coming my way...still isn't letting me have the shed though! Not just yet! They are also working on other houses . . . . !
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Paul Plots

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 12:10 »
So, having visited the skip several times at the house renovation, I am now on first name terms with the people working on the house. They are saving any wood they don't want (for my logburner) and having invited myself in I asked what they were doing with the patio slabs... rplacing them - joy of joy they are coming my way...still isn't letting me have the shed though! Not just yet! They are also working on other houses . . . . !

I was always told as a child: "If you don't ask - you don't know" and in the next breath told off for being nosey!  ::)  :lol:

stuart curran

• bargain basement gardener
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 16:59 »
the last week has seen 4 yes 4 skips across the road from me

council flats being renovated

i eagerly  waited  a harvest of bounty but not a dam thing of any use to any one 

just broken up chip board and smashed cupboards and rubble  >:(

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 20:48 »
Re bath: We are planning to change ours and assuming it comes out in one piece, have in mind a slightly different raised bed/border with a matching loo planter and trailing plants from the hand basin.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 11:54 »
Just got a perfectly functional, bit rust chimaera from the skip at work. Cool
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 18:28 »
some hose for making tunnels
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 17:12 »
My auntie was moving from a house with a  colossal garden to one with a garden slightly bigger than a postage stamp   :ohmy: and we had a bet " you'll never get all that in one skip!!!" "Challenge accepted"

Put in the swings, 2 broken up sheds, 6 land rover seats (don't ask - forgotten hobby of her son) rusty BBQ and a lot of bits and bobs from a good ten years of the extended family enjoying the only large garden in the family

I put 2 children's slides in front of it  with a sign saying 'homeless and lonely : ( ' and they were gone Within the hour, then I put a sign out saying tin shed free if collected - this was lifted fully built over the garden fences to a house a couple doors down

my own little tikes yellow Wendy house went to a little girl who knocked on the door to ask with her mum on the way home from tesco with armfuls of bags and a baby carrier on her back - they sent dad back for it later 

That night there were a few knocks and it went down even more

Then a scrap metal truck turned up - he d heard about the car junk and gave us £20 to take it away

Safe to say I won the bet ! I was given a box of flap jack from the Wendy house family, and my auntie got 3 bottles of wine from the people that took the empty rabbit hutch and run !  :D :D :D

Sweetpea C

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 06:29 »
So not only did you make people happy but just think about what you saved from going into landfill - well done  :).

I got some double glazing windows yesterday that were about to be skiped, they are now on the allotment waiting to be turned into cold frames!

xx
Skip Diving

Started by mumofstig on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 21:53
by Yorkie
xx
skip diving!

Started by fish on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 17:33
by Leaf
grin
Skip diving!

Started by Quants on Frugal Living

14 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 10:42
by Aled
xx
the joys of skip diving

Started by chrissie B on Frugal Living

36 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 13:17
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.