Pullets

• 11 Replies

Andy J

Pullets
« on: April 09, 2008, 21:43 »
I have just set up my first chicken run in my back garden and recently bought two brown warren pullets for egg laying.  Both of them were at point of lay but currently only one of them has produced eggs.

I wouldn't worry but it has been nearly three weeks since I got them and I assumed they would both be laying by now!!!

Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have any help or advice??

Many thanks

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Pullets
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 21:45 »
hello and welcome.

she'll lay when she's ready. there's no set age.

are you feeding layers feed, oyster shell and grit?

she will lay, you just have to have patience

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Pullets
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 21:48 »
Hi Andy, if you bought your pullets at point of lay, they should have been 18 weeks old, and they will lay anytime between 18-26 weeks generally, depending on the time of year.  However, when we bought our POL's last year, I'm sure they were younger than 18 weeks.  Some people do start to sell them at 16 weeks, although they should tell you!

Please have patience with them.  they'll lay when they are good and ready!

Mind you, saying that, one of my last August' POL's has only ever laid 2 eggs in her life, and they were both in March!!!!    :lol:

Foxy

Pullets
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 21:49 »
Hello Andy and a big welcome to the henhouse! :D  :D

I am am sure they will lay in due course as long as they are on a balanced diet -layers pellets primarily and some oyster shell for strong shells.  Plus a little mixed corn in the evenings. A clue to whether they are ready to lay is the size and colour of their combs and faces. Young pullets have small and pale combs which turn red when they come into lay.

Andy J

Pullets
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 21:51 »
Thank you for your reply,

Yes I am feed them layers pellets and a small amount of mixed corn in the evenings.  I have given them grit and oyster shells as well so they have everything they need.

I guess I am just being over concerned!!!!

Also what sort of vegetables and other greens can I feed them?

Foxy

Pullets
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 21:55 »
I have mine free range so dont tend to bother with feeding them greens and stuff. If you have an enclosed run it may be necessary to add greens such as hanging a cabbage. I am sure you will get lots of advice though :wink: I do feed leftovers though for example cooked peas, potato and pasta they like as long as they is no salt added. Cherry tomatoes they love as well as grapes -thats like watching a game of rugby! :lol:

poultrygeist

Pullets
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 23:05 »
Hi Andy,

I was worrying for weeks when we got ours (from GrannieAnnie) and they all came into lay in their own time.
One was laying for nearly a fortnight before the next one started. Keep on doing what you're doing and they'll reward you soon.

You need to post up photos or you'll be lynched.  :wink:

Rob

Andy J

Pullets
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:39 »
I'll see if I can sort some photos out on the weekend!!

I have noticed that the one who is laying already does have a very red comb and face, the other one is catching up now so maybe she will start soon!

Thanks for everyone help and advice I will get some photos for people to see  :D

Andy

Andy J

Pullets
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 19:13 »
As promised here are some pics of my hens and the run (which I built with my own fair hands!!)

http://www.ashton-online.com/HTML/Hens.htm

Andy

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Pullets
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 21:12 »
Oh Andy, you've made a real good job of that!!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Pullets
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 21:24 »
Cracking job Andy  :D  welcome btw  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

henpecked

Pullets
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 22:30 »
Andy your hens are identical to mine, I did a double take! They are the same in colour, size etc.

I've had mine just over a week, I got them from a lady who had been sold the POL but she says she thinks they were closer to 14 weeks and estimated them as being about 18 weeks when I got them fom her. So far we've had 2 eggs, but nothing for the last 2 day although I think they are on strike as they were free ranging on the allotments, but now people have started planting things I've had to fence them in!

Don't worry about the wait...think of the nice surprise when you do get another egg!  :lol:

xx
3 new RIR pullets!

Started by CLARE SWANN on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 19:54
by Hawkins
xx
Pullets

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 10:44
by richyrich7
xx
Where Do I Get POL Pullets

Started by parson on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 22:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How much are pullets to buy?

Started by BJ on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 12:41
by BJ

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 39 queries.