Rhubarb Wine...total n00b

• 8 Replies

LiamB

Rhubarb Wine...total n00b
« on: July 22, 2016, 16:44 »
Hi Guys,

Me and a friend have ordered some kit to make some home made rhubarb wine but a bit stumped... at campden tablets.

The recipe i was looking at using as it seems quite simple is this one

http://andhereweare.net/2014/04/make-rhubarb-wine.html/

There is no mention of campden tablets but whilst reading the comments i noticed a few saying the rhubarb went moldy when added with sugar and left. One guy suggested to use a campden tablet before adding the sugar so my question is do i just chop the rhubarb and sprinkle the campden tablet over it and leave it for 3 days like suggested? Is that all i need to do? Or is there more to it than that.

I've got a lot to learn but got to start somewhere right!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Rhubarb Wine...total n00b
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 16:52 »
Some say you should use campden tablets in your wine not just for sterilizing, but I'm not a lover of doing that.  I use the cheap supermarket milton stuff for sterilizing, after all, if its good enough for babies, its good enough for me.

I used to make a lot of rhubarb wine, and its never gone mouldy.  Perhaps that person wasn't stirring every day while the rhubarb was in the bucket?   The only wine I ever had go mouldy was peach.  That was years ago, and again, I think it was because I forgot to stir every day.

Rhubarb wine is lovely done well, so fingers crossed yours turns out good too!

LiamB

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 16:56 »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I will try without then, just make sure i stir every day whilst in the bucket.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 20:10 »
I think it's best to chuck in a campden tablet just to make sure, at the beginning, Liam, if you're getting that sort of result so early. Did you use any pectolase? It sometimes makes the job easier, but I'm not entirely sure how or why!

It may well sort itself out later anyway. I'm also not sure that Campden tablets are totally necessary, as we kill off any yeast at the end with potassium sorbate, and haven't had a problem with that for years!

We tend to take an easy route, and hardly ever sterilise anything, and perhaps that's why each six gallons tastes slightly different - never 'off yet' I might say!

p6t6

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 21:35 »
Really interested in making some rhubarb wine this year as have acquired a lot of crowns of the winter.

stompy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:31 »
I would use half a campden tablet to be on the safe side.
It will stop prety much any chance of it going funny durin fermentation, i have lost Bramble and gooseberry wine when i didn't use a campden and had a layer of fluff in the demijon.
Pectolace is to help stop or reduce the pectin in the fruits from clouding the wine, i especially use it in plum wine as they have a high level of pectin.
Should be ok not using it with rubarb though.

Andy

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 20:29 »
Really interested in making some rhubarb wine this year as have acquired a lot of crowns of the winter.

You'll need to let them settle in this year without picking any & next year just pick lightly unless you want to kill them 😥
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 19:50 »
Have made fairly simple homemade wine for some years, not in great amounts, but have never used a campden tablet in any. Never had a problem with any either. So it seems to be non-essential.

I think the idea or purpose behind it is to kill off any possibly unwahted wild yeasts, however the modern wine yeast are more stronger and cultivate fast so wipe out the wild ones if present.

If you make rhubard wine from rhubarb then you may need to reduce the acidity, that may kill off even the modern yeasts, or prevent them getting going. To reduce the acidity you will need some chalk - not sure of the exact name it is given.

stompy

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 08:48 »
Rather than have even the slightest possibility of a lost cared and nurtured for brew i would add half a campden tablet.  ;)

xx
Rhubarb wine

Started by bazh on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 20:43
by plot107
xx
Rhubarb Wine

Started by gregmcalister on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 07:34
by flatcap
xx
rhubarb wine

Started by jackiestagg on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 12:06
by charlwooduk
xx
Rhubarb wine...again!

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 20:09
by Kevin67

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.