Geoff Hamilton TV Series??

• 5 Replies

littlemisssunshine

« on: October 29, 2007, 10:12 »
I remember as a wee nipper sitting with my dad watching Geoff Hamilton's TV show showing you how to garden/grow veg.

I remember being captivated with his enthusiasm and money saving techniques.

Can anyone remember the series title as I have noticed a few for sale and am not sure which would be best for veg advice.

Thank you
 :wink:

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 11:09 »
A quick wikipedia search revealed this...

Geoff Hamilton (August 15, 1936 – August 4, 1996) was a gardener and broadcaster, born Geoffrey Stephen Ham just a few minutes before his twin brother Tony, in Stepney, East London, England.

Hamilton's passion for gardening strengthened and during the school holidays Geoff expanded his knowledge by helping out in local nurseries, mainly at the Van Hage nursery at the end of his road. He went on to Writtle Agricultural College in Essex where he passed the National Diploma in Horticulture with distinction.

In 1975 he joined the Garden News magazine team. After two years he took over as editor of Practical Gardening magazine, where he began his crusade informing everybody about the joys and benefits of organic gardening.

He was given a regular spot in the BBC television programme Gardeners' World in 1979.

As the presenter of Gardeners' World for 17 years and the creator of numerous other gardening series, he was popular with gardening fans in the UK. Gardeners' World was broadcast from Hamilton's own garden at Barnsdale in Rutland.

His practical hands-on experience, down-to-earth approach and desire to share his failures as well as his successes with his audience combined with a gentle humour were some of the keys to his success.

Readers of Amateur Gardening magazine nominated the presenter Gardener of the Millennium.

He died on a charity bike ride in 1996.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:20 »
Geoff was of course the main presenter of Gardners World which is not available. I think you may be referring to the Ornamental Kitchen Garden or possible the Cottage garden both of which are on Video VHS as far as I know no one has issued them os DVD.

Hope this helps
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 13:43 »
I'm pretty sure I've seen Geoff's series in dvd format, but they're for UK machines only, darn. Try ebay.
Probably the best all round show he did (outside of Gardener's World) was Ornamental Kitchen Garden as it incorporates flowers and veg within limited confines. All his series were available for telly and in book forms so check used book sellers as well. I got some of his G.W. related books from ebay.

Ann

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 22:48 »
The BBC have released the Ornamental Kitchen Garden, Cottage Gardens and Paradise Gardens on DVD (comes as a set).  It's on my Christmas wish list.  I think they are 17.00 from the BBC not sure about other sources.

tallulah

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:59 »
There is a 3 disc set called The Geoff Hamilton Collection, which was released on 7 August 2007.  This comprises The Cottage Garden, The Paradise Garden and The Ornamental Kitchen Garden.  I subscribe to LoveFilm and have just put them on my selection to see what they're like.  I don't like to advertise for companies, but LoveFilm is a great way to see absolutely anything that exists on DVD for as little as a fiver a month.  I've had out loads of old cookery series and gardening, wildlife, nature, and old dramas (anyone remember The Plantaganets, from the 70's? SUPERB!)
Anyway, back to the point, I'd recommend renting gardening dvds this way to save on hard-earned cash!

xx
Potatoes a la Geoff Hamilton

Started by Trikidiki on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 16:52
by birmancats
xx
NEW GARDENING SERIES IN 2007

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 09:12
by ted_woodley
xx
LOOKING FOR TOMATO GROWERS! BBC 2 series - What to Eat: Summer

Started by Sarah R on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 10:12
by Rowan
xx
seasonal vegetable allotment sought for ITV series

Started by oliviaking on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 22:13
by gobs

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.