Odd shaped eggs

• 5 Replies

Mum2mj

Odd shaped eggs
« on: March 07, 2017, 17:02 »
Im not talking about wrinkles or spots but my beautiful indian runner duck has consistently laid irregular shaped eggs - normal in the bottom but at the top on one side it is very flat.  She now seems to have problems with soft shells and now difficulty in laying at all.  I have checked her over as best I can and she seems tender around her lower abdomen.  She's off her food now and has taken herself off.  I gave her a warm bath but it hasn't seemed to help and I think she is on her way out.  I am devastated she is only 1 of 2 ducks left that survived a vicious fox attack last year ( out of the 6 we hatched ) and is so friendly you can stroke her.  I will look for a vet tomorrow if she makes it through the night but does anyone know if these problems will continue due to the egg shape?

mrs bouquet

Re: Odd shaped eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 17:23 »
Ah, poor girl, it must be like having a funny shaped baby, , hope she soon is feeling more comfortable, Love to her from Aunty Mrs Bouquet xxxx
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 19:35 »
One of  my girls has just come back into lay, and her eggs are flat on one side. I'm hoping it will sort itself out once she is laying properly.

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 19:58 »
One of  my girls has just come back into lay, and her eggs are flat on one side. I'm hoping it will sort itself out once she is laying properly.

Were they okay before that? I think my one has laid like this from the start and she's only been laying since before Christmas

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 19:58 »
Ah, poor girl, it must be like having a funny shaped baby, , hope she soon is feeling more comfortable, Love to her from Aunty Mrs Bouquet xxxx

Thankyou x

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 09:37 »

Were they okay before that? I think my one has laid like this from the start and she's only been laying since before Christmas

Yes, she used to lay normal eggs, but sometimes when my girls come back into lay after the winter, or after a moult, it takes a little while for them to settle into normal laying.  She laid a few 'softies' to begin with, and one or two where the shell wasn't an even thickness, and now the ones that are flattened on one side.  When I first had her, her very first eggs were all double or triple yolked, and sometimes she laid twice a day. This went on for a couple of weeks until she settled into the usual laying pattern, so she's never been exactly normal.

xx
Torpedo shaped eggs!

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 13:49
by Number 7
xx
Weird shaped eggs

Started by new heather on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 13:37
by new heather
xx
Odd shaped eggs and funny marks on them. WHY ????

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 20:48
by Chuckiemum
xx
Odd shaped chickens pupil

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 11:46
by moomoos42

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.