safety

• 16 Replies

bowler

safety
« on: October 02, 2018, 19:57 »
can anybody advise me wether a risk assessment should be carried out on allotment sites, and should those that have plots have the right to see such paperwork

thankyou

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: safety
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 22:22 »
If it's a council run site they do the assessment and the results are usually posted on-line (Google search shows many reports) or can be made available for viewing at the Allotment Society's AGM.

So yes, whoever is running the site does the assessment, and plot holders can eventually see the final report. Presumably if something dangerous is found on a plot, they would be advised of the problem and remedial work advised, if the responsibility for the work is the plot-holder's..

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 23:46 »
Good lord I hope they don't assess ours, my plot is  a deathtrap ;)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 12:06 »
Good lord I hope they don't assess ours, my plot is  a deathtrap ;)
care is needed on our whole site!!!!! If there was a risk assessment done, the place would be closed.!

Christine

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 21:23 »
We once had a town clerk who came up with a detailed safety check document. It covered things like not sinking water butts in the ground in case we tripped, fell in and drowned as well as securing our compost bins in case we fell in and suffocated. We also had to report rats on our plots (to whom and what would happen was not stated).  ::)

It was ignored as he was told he didn't have the time to inspect 100 plots and take enforcement action. The fact that the allotments are run by an arms length committee didn't occur to him.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 21:41 »
I'm of the view that the plot holder retains some responsibility for the hazards on their plot - you can't abrogate it all to the landholder / council.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 22:36 »
I'm of the view that the plot holder retains some responsibility for the hazards on their plot - you can't abrogate it all to the landholder / council.

I completely agree! Anyone who sets foot on my plot does so at their own risk ;)
Actually as my plot is at the very end of the allotment no-one needs to travel across it, plus I've been given some grace in sorting it as it was in such a horrific state when I took it on.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 23:37 »
When our plots were inspected, someone (who will remain nameless) had left a carving knife laying on one of his beds  :ohmy:
One of the things that the inspectors decided they didn't like was corrugated metal being used for compost heap sides, because the edges are sharp  :unsure: They also now check that they can't easily push a shed over, because if they can, then the wind can, and it might blow over onto someone  ???

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 11:43 »
Trip hazzard anyone?

The powers that be had to fell a dangerous tree on the boundary and left this.  They pulled it down with dodgy looking ropes strung from vehicles parked 2 plots away on the path.   I took one look and left immediately  :ohmy:

The previous owner eventually got kicked off 3 years ago after years of inactivity.  It had self seeded trees, overgrown brambles and head high weeds.  My plot neighbour and I have been clearing it slowly to stop it shading our plots and in the hopes someone might take it on.  Not much chance now  :(
IMG_0202.JPG

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 12:06 »
Trip hazzard anyone?

The powers that be had to fell a dangerous tree on the boundary and left this.  They pulled it down with dodgy looking ropes strung from vehicles parked 2 plots away on the path.   I took one look and left immediately  :ohmy:

The previous owner eventually got kicked off 3 years ago after years of inactivity.  It had self seeded trees, overgrown brambles and head high weeds.  My plot neighbour and I have been clearing it slowly to stop it shading our plots and in the hopes someone might take it on.  Not much chance now  :(

Any. Body with a log burner & chain saw on site will surely have that? Amazing that they left it though, maybe someone’s coming to clear the site🤔
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

bowler

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 18:48 »
The reason I asked about risk assessment"s  is because we have two entrance gates to our site one of which has beenpermanently locked by the site secretary , the gate that we can use is inside a council car park which has a barrier that is locked at six pm every night if anybody was to have an accident when the barrier is locked the emergency services would be unable to access the site ,hence the reason I ask about risk assessment .the secretary seems to ignore the majority of plot holders and I wondered where we stand health and safety wise.

thankyou( any advice would be greatly recieved

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 21:48 »
If the gate is locked how are you in there?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 22:35 »
The reason I asked about risk assessment"s  is because we have two entrance gates to our site one of which has beenpermanently locked by the site secretary , the gate that we can use is inside a council car park which has a barrier that is locked at six pm every night if anybody was to have an accident when the barrier is locked the emergency services would be unable to access the site ,hence the reason I ask about risk assessment .the secretary seems to ignore the majority of plot holders and I wondered where we stand health and safety wise.

thankyou( any advice would be greatly recieved

Ok, flippant joking aside, that's quite serious. Why is the site rep insisting on locking the gate? Without knowing your site, I would still think that multiple points of exit/ entry would be a basic requirement, especially as you've pointed out that ermergency services would struggle to gain access in the evening.
Personally I'd be inclined to pop down one night with some bolt cutters to remove the lock, but that's not a reccomendation ;)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 12:28 »
It is an interesting subject and I would worry about the locked gates!
With have both double vehicle type gates but also we have small walk in gates fitted with a keypad on so access is always available.

The only time I have carreid out a RA is when we have schools visiting, this is more for our insurance. I am keen on having primary schools down to chat about food sustainability etc and GYO.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

bowler

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 20:09 »
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE , THE GATES HAVE NOW BEEN REOPENED AFTER APPROACHING THE GENERAL
SECRETARY ABOUT HEALTH & SAFETY ISSUES
                  KIND REGUARDS

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 55 queries.