tail feathers (or rather, lack of)

• 4 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
tail feathers (or rather, lack of)
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:47 »
Delia has a problem with her tail feathers... they never grow and are constantly bleeding it seems.  I've watched them carefully at different times of the day (hiding so they can't see me...) and there is very little pecking.  She is at the bottom of the pecking order but the others rarely tell her off (and if they do they go for her wattles  :ohmy: ).  They have a varied and fairly big run for the four of them.  I think she is doing it to herself as she had blood on her beak yesterday and her tail feathers were a mess!

To add, she is moulting at the moment and off lay and being a complete nuisance to catch ( she won't crouch anymore... she used to be the "baby" of them all lol).  I've tried spraying them with purple spray but she still goes at them.  Looking at them they seem like broken quills that never manage to heal/ grow.  I wonder if they were chewed off before we got her and then she has continued pecking them?

I'm at a bit of a loss what else I can do... i'm convinced none of the others are causing her problems.  She is on layers pellets, bit of corn every other day or so, veg and a mineral supplement.  I'm guessing that it maybe a lack of protein in the diet?  especially as she moulting.  But she did do this before she moulted as well!

I'd welcome any thoughts/ suggestions... this is also the same chook that went through a period of laying three soft eggs overnight... i think she is just the troublesome one out of the lot!  :wacko:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: tail feathers (or rather, lack of)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 18:41 »
she may be lacking something in her diet which is why she is eating them, try increasing her protein for a short while, and you could fit a beak clip to her to help break the habit if this is the case  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 22:36 »
Could the other hens be pecking them out when she is roosting?  If not think Joy is on the right track. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 13:02 »
Also could there be something irritating her in that area and that is causing her to pull her new quills out? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:36 »
Thanks guys, have checked her for mites... no sign... I don't know if they are pecking her when she is roosting... she is always happy to go to bed and huddled up with the others when we check on them.  Hm!  I'm thinking of trying anti-peck spray but it might be a bit mean as she is moulting at the moment and must want to preen/ itch more than usual!  I'll keep an eye on it all...  has anyone tried vaseline to stop them pulling feathers?  I've seen that recommended by others.  It's obviously quite sore as she doesn't like me touching the shafts (not suprised  :ohmy:) Just a bit worried about infections seeing as it is an open wound.

xx
Tail feathers

Started by jonesblack on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 15:07
by Beano
xx
Droopy tail feathers

Started by simbleby on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 14:56
by kensington chicks
xx
Another thread about tail feathers!

Started by 300AJC on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 14:03
by kegs
xx
Bit worried - tail feathers down

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 19:19
by Molly Hen

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.