Is Hay or Straw Bails OK??????

• 8 Replies

RICH_Chicken

Is Hay or Straw Bails OK??????
« on: November 22, 2011, 21:12 »
Advice needed?

Is it ok for my Hens to have a bail of hay or straw in the run, i mixed some layers pellets in there and they seem to love scratching around for the grub? is the hay/straw a good idea as ive been told a few different opinions?

Cheers
Rich_Chicken
Rich_Chicken :)

Sassy

Re: Is Hay or Straw Bails OK??????
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:21 »
They will start to break down once exposed to the elements and the spores they produce will not be good for the chooks.  Why do you wish to put a bale in the run. You can add interest with tree branches/logs, plastic garden furniture etc if that is the reason. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:27 »
Straw, not hay.    I made a straw bale winter shelter for my girls so they could have a window on the world without getting cold and wet. Also they climbed on it to get a better view sometimes  :D  They used to lay eggs under there sometimes as well  :)

Apparently hay is bad news for hens as they get their feet tangled up in it and they may try and eat it which is not healthy and could get stuck in their crops

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:11 »
Hay is also prone to mould more so than straw.

I filled a spare shed last Winter with a deep layer of straw and left the door wide open - my girls seemed to love bedding down in it during the day out of the bitterly cold wind, but I wouldn't put it in their main coop as straw is hollow and a lovely breeding medium for red mite.

tstainesmoore

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 18:45 »
straw is best because hay will not last long and absorbs water etc

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 19:01 »

I've got mine on wheat straw in the coop for the winter only. The run is covered so that's nice and dry.

This was last winter, remember it??

The straw is to keep the chill of the stone floor away from the chooks, and on the plus side, RM are way less active in the cold.

funkychook

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 14:17 »
Advice needed?

Is it ok for my Hens to have a bail of hay or straw in the run, i mixed some layers pellets in there and they seem to love scratching around for the grub? is the hay/straw a good idea as ive been told a few different opinions?

Cheers
Rich_Chicken

The guy who helps me has over 300 chickens which he breeds and shows. He told me never use Hay near the chickens, and dont use straw from a farm or similar as the straw can harbor red mite. He said the straw is better bought which has been processed and cleaned.

Phew looking after chickens can be hard work lol.

When my uncle was alive, he never bothered with his chickens, fed them on scraps and corn and they gave loads of lovely eggs and had good lives, now it seems so many things are bad for them lol.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 17:17 »
Advice needed?

Cheers
Rich_Chicken

When my uncle was alive, he never bothered with his chickens, fed them on scraps and corn and they gave loads of lovely eggs and had good lives, now it seems so many things are bad for them lol.

Yeah, I often wonder how on earth chickens managed to survive back in the day....with all the do's and don't's these days, its nothing less than a miracle that they still exist lol  ;)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

funkychook

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 16:35 »
Advice needed?

Cheers
Rich_Chicken

Yeah, I often wonder how on earth chickens managed to survive back in the day....with all the do's and don't's these days, its nothing less than a miracle that they still exist lol  ;)

LOL you are so right, I thought it would be easy but i worry about them all the time lol. They are funny though and very entertaining and each one has its own personality. I never realised that chickens growled until my hubby tried to pick up my red hampshire lol, and I decided to rename her DIVA not Matilda lol.  :)

xx
using straw

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 17:25
by karlooben
xx
Does straw go off?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 08:59
by Prod
xx
straw or hay............

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 18:50
by karlooben
xx
Hay V Straw

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 21:36
by evie2

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 39 queries.