rosemary cuttings

• 6 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
rosemary cuttings
« on: June 25, 2012, 14:11 »
I remember reading on here that it is much easier to grow new rosemary plants from cuttings rather than seed, so I thought I would give it a go...

And after 3 weeks, I have 5 dead rosemary twigs stuck in pots...

Any suggestions? I cut off some 4" lengths of rosemary, stripped the lower inch of leaves, and planted into new compost. Should I have used some rooting powder, or a special variety of compost?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: rosemary cuttings
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 14:16 »
You shouldn't need a special compost, but hormone rooting powder might have helped.. I know we're blaming it a lot this year, but they'll need a certain sustained temperature to root - somewhere up near 20°C. Do you think they were warm enough?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 16:16 »
It's supposedly the ideal time to be making stem cuttings, although I've also done it in late summer to root in the autumn with equal success and no faffing whatsoever (just stuck in the soil somewhere fairly shady outdoors and kept moist.)

Best to use new growth rather than old woody stuff - they root quickest with plenty of warmth (but not direct sun) and high humidity to stop them drying out (cover with a poly bag if necessary.)

Good luck!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 16:22 »

Best to use new growth rather than old woody stuff - they root quickest with plenty of warmth (but not direct sun) and high humidity to stop them drying out (cover with a poly bag if necessary.)

Good luck!  :)

I can't better that advice  ;)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 17:24 »
I'll give it another try then...seeing as

- it's definitely not been 20C (the cuttings were in my propogator outside, so it may have reached that temperature once or twice in the last 3 weeks)

- I don't think I used new growth.... certainly not deliberately so!

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 18:46 »
I usually put the cuttings in water for a week or tow before putting in compost....usually works )(except when I forget to add more water into the glass...)
Thinking of the Days

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 20:12 »
This is going to sound strange but it works for me.

I spend the winter month in Portugal and Spain and a few years ago I decided to grow some new Rosemary plants as the wife was saying that there did not seem to be much new growth on the bush for the kitchen.

So before we left for a 3 month break from the UK weather I took 4 of the greenest tips I could find and planted them in a small plastic of standard grow-bag compost and 20% sharp sand.

The pot was placed in a clear plastic lemonade bottle with enough water so that there was about a table spoon free in the bottom of the bottle, then the top of the bottle (where the neck had been cut off was wrapped on cling film so the it was all sealed up and placed on a south windowsill in what would be an unheated house.

3 months later I came home to 4 healthy plants ready to be potted up.

I have now been doing the every year for the last 3 years and had 100% success.

xx
Rosemary Cuttings

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 22, 2014, 16:59
by JayG
xx
Rosemary cuttings

Started by pottylotty1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2018, 08:56
by sunshineband
xx
rosemary cuttings

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 20:17
by DavidT
xx
Rooted Rosemary cuttings in water.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2019, 12:25
by adri

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.