I have read somewhere that you should use enviromesh in greenhouse.

• 10 Replies

cc

• Experienced Member
On the doors and windows as it will keep out beasties like greenfly but surely it will keep out bees and other pollinators?

8doubles

On the doors and windows as it will keep out beasties like greenfly but surely it will keep out bees and other pollinators?

Some people use it for shading but bubble wrap as a diffuser is better !

cc

• Experienced Member

Yes but that's not what I asked! Using it to keep beasties out ie make sure there's no gap for them to get in also stops pollinators, bees for instance.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
If you are growing anything in the greenhouse that needs pollination, then the bees etc have to have access for this.

So it depends on what you are growing whether you can/should use mesh or not.

I don't use mesh on mine, I grow peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers; sowing marigolds in the greenhouse tends to keep whitefly out, if that's the problem.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Yep MoS is right, you need to let the pollinators in (not just bees). French Marigolds tucked in among your tomato plants will help no end.

8doubles

Yes but that's not what I asked! Using it to keep beasties out ie make sure there's no gap for them to get in also stops pollinators, bees for instance.

It might be used as an insect barrier if you were cross pollinating plants (F1 hybrid) yourself . ;)

cc

• Experienced Member

It might be used as an insect barrier if you were cross pollinating plants (F1 hybrid) yourself . ;)
Yeah that's not going to happen. I am pretty certain that meets the definition of hard and tedious work!

cc

• Experienced Member
Well as I am writing about the greenhouse I might as well ask for views on the way I am going to do it.
The greenhouse will have a concrete floor. With brick wall up to? Not decided. The north side will be a shed entering through it to the greenhouse. There will also be a wall on the inside or put another way, all the way round the greenhouse will be a raised bed with a concrete floor to it. I will probably put some tubes in the concrete to create some drainage. Maybe gravel in the bottom of the raised bed? Now the question is how high should the raised bed walls be? Should I fill with compost or topsoil? I was thinking if I used either I would have to change it as eventually it will become diseased. I am thinking of part of my front garden, where I have grown tomatoes for years. I am not going use that part in the future as the tomato crops are terrible. Definitely some sort of disease there.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:26 by cc »

cc

• Experienced Member
You know I have never had a serious problem with green/white fly thrips. They get into the conservatory on the back of my house which, I use as a greenhouse but only seem to pick on one tray of baby lettuce and that's it. I often take the tray outside spray and put it back. That's about it. This year the beasties didn't bother with anything I was growing.

8doubles

Yeah that's not going to happen. I am pretty certain that meets the definition of hard and tedious work!

A simple two minute job ! :)

rowlandwells

we haven't had any  problems with greenfly or whitefly for that I can remember on both greenhouses or the tunnel
but having said that I usually put shading over the greenhouse's when the weather starts to heat up

and take two panes of glass out one end so that makes more ventilation  I have thought about buying one of those circulation fans but at around £130 quid I hesitated for now but if we do get some infestation that causes problems we mite have to consider to bite the bullet and buy one or two

does  any of our members on site have a circulation fan and if so does it help :unsure:

xx
Repairing Enviromesh?

Started by Pimento on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2017, 12:52
by sunshineband
xx
Greenhouse - which one ?

Started by scentedstock on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 17:26
by Lee1978
xx
Where To Put The Greenhouse

Started by Milly on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 18:52
by Milly
xx
New Greenhouse.

Started by Ma Lowe on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 07:29
by PennyS

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 39 queries.