Dogs (don't you just love them)

• 8 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
Dogs (don't you just love them)
« on: January 17, 2016, 20:01 »
Following yesterday's cat attack on my hens I am thinking of taking in a dog. In the past I have had two Labrador cross bitches and a terrier, who looked just like a fox, he even used to play with them in our garden :lol:

So having had my first lab for Sooty some 3.5 years, Sebbie, for 11 years approx and Bobby for nearly 14 years I think I know what to do, and we have strict rules, no sleeping on the sofa, or our bed, no scrounging at the table, scraps when we are finished etc.

All of our dogs were well behaved, Bobby though was a bad traveller.

My reasoning is as follows:

1) extra pair of eyes and ears, very much younger than mine to help watch over our birds.

2) the door bell broke ages ago and we have never replaced it

3) I should be getting more exercise these days, had my state pension for a year now but still got my office and work, but its car, home car shops, the only time I walk much is when I have my outpatients appointment and travel to that by train (car park at the hospital is always rammed and expensive, train is free with my bus pass), just takes twice as long.

4) can't think of any other good reasons!  Any ideas folks

I did some research and there is a lab 1 - 2 years old local who came from a home with cats and chickens so he should be knowing not to chase and try to eat chickens. :)
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

Beekissed

Re: Dogs (don't you just love them)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:56 »
All good reasons and a good choice of breed!   :)  Another good reason is that Labs treat you like you hung the moon and stars and the sun rises in their world when you do. 

I would never attempt to have chickens without dogs to guard them.  Gives the dogs a job to do, which gives them a more fulfilled life, and we all benefit from the food produced. 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 15:34 »
Your local lab rescue should have some desperate for a home. At the age you want they should be over their boisterous stage. Both our's are rescue and we have had such a lovely time with them even though they have both had issues, Brilliant with the chooks and cats even though they were adults of 9 and three with chooks, much older when we first got cats. The cats have even trained my sister's cat hating 7 year old lab some manners and they all live happily....

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 20:36 »
Well my first search did not go well :( I got in touch with the local Dogs Trust, and the dog I was interested in had confidence issues and could only be looked after by another dog in the house??? :wacko:

Bearing in mind, wife is not too keen as it may restrict her holidays, in the past she went away camping with the kids and the dog and I had some quality peace and quiet. Of course the kids have grown up and gone, except for 1, so the landscape is different this time.

I will not be popular turning up with a friendly black lab, wagging and clearing the coffee table in one go :lol:

Might take a bit of time this one ;)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 10:31 »
Don't be put off by the dog you went to see, the dogs trust have such a high turn over there will be a suitable one there in no time. I recently got our dog from the Ilfracombe branch, they were very helpful although we went looking for a spaniel type and came away with a collie cross in the end.  :nowink:

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:54 »
As far as pets are concerned, I'm a great believer in Fate and the right one will come your way.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 13:02 »
True!  My mate has just got a rescue one. Sounds like it's had no life at all thus far  :nowink:

I got splattered in mud this morning, all up my clean running tights, by a pack of excited border collies. I had only jut got out the car and had not even broken into a trot  :D  Yep, don't yer just love em  :lol:   I do, fortunately  :)

Aled

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 14:27 »
Have a look at  www.dogsblog.com, may have what you are looking for. I have a similar issue I am very keen to have a dog but my wife keeps saying no!
Cheers
Aled

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 20:53 »
Had to laugh. All our cats have been frightened of the chickens.

xx
Gotta love these dogs...

Started by Trillium on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:37
by snowdrops
xx
Paul O'Grady - For the Love of Dogs

Started by maxibo on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 15:52
by wil4025
xx
will the dogs ever learn

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 19:37
by karlooben
xx
Oranges - do your dogs eat them?

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post March 24, 2015, 10:52
by Snoop

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.