Do you need to use manure

• 4 Replies

Nana1

Do you need to use manure
« on: January 10, 2018, 21:11 »
hi, I manured( well rotted cow muck )my two plots four years ago, since then i have used a combination of green manure on some areas and chicken pellets before planting.  This is were i get confused as  the soil on my plots is light and easy to work should i really have left it so long without adding any more muck......

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Do you need to use manure
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 21:33 »
You don't have to use manure, making your own compost and adding it to the soil, and using green manures are good alternatives. Light soils tend to need more feeding though as they're so free-draining any goodness tend to wash through fairly quickly, so perhaps add some general fertilise regularly.

If your plot is still productive I wouldn't worry about it too much  though, add manure if/when you can get it, but don't worry if you can't - that's what I do  :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 21:35 by mumofstig »

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 13:06 »
Have you got any facilities for making compost? I'm a fan of no-dig gardening and I spread any compost I can make on the beds each autumn. I have used well rotted cow muck in the past, but getting it delivered without having to barrow it to the plot is out, so I used shop bought compost and spread that. It works fine, but costs a bit more. Mumofstig is right - don't get too hung up on it, just do what you can.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 19:47 »
as I've said many times before every to there own I use both horse manure  cattle manure as well as NPK fertilizer inc nitrogen and wood ash also use my home made compost but not enough to do all I need

haven't got round to growing green manure yet possibly this year it will be interesting to see how green manure feeds the ground and what results we get from growing  green manure

we also found using well rotted cattle manure containing straw helped our light sandy soil as the ground is very hungry for manure we also found spreading horse manure liberally stopped our soil capping when I can't get any manure it will be time to give up the allotment

Nana1

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 22:59 »
You don't have to use manure, making your own compost and adding it to the soil, and using green manures are good alternatives. Light soils tend to need more feeding though as they're so free-draining any goodness tend to wash through fairly quickly, so perhaps add some general fertilise regularly.

If your plot is still productive I wouldn't worry about it too much  though, add manure if/when you can get it, but don't worry if you can't - that's what I do  :D
thanks a lot, that explains so much cheers :D

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 46 queries.