Buddleia propogating?

• 16 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Buddleia propogating?
« on: March 21, 2007, 13:32 »
I would like a buddlia bush in my garden, I am noticing they are budding up in my neighbours gardens, and I wonder how easy it would be to propgate one? How do I do this? do I wait for the summer or should I do it now?

Thankyou
x

WG.

Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 14:00 »

muntjac

Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 14:47 »
take half a dozen cuttings from the soft wood tips abou5 inches long ,n then peel all but the top two leaves and the tip off .cut the stem a 1/4 inch from the leaf bract and then dip in hormone rooting powder and stick in a 6 inch pot sand and water gently stick in a warm green house or on the window sill and leave for 4 weeks and just make sure they dont dry out you wil have  them ready to plant out after that into 6 inch pots of compost leave for a month in greenhouse take outside to harden off and plant  in ground in final position . i take 20 or so every year from my white purple blue and yellow ball buddliahs
still alive /............

Trillium

Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 15:43 »
Munty, have you ever done the cuttings in compost? Or does it work only in sand?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 15:47 »
I took 12 heel cuttings from a buddleia globosa late 2005, put them in compost, and 10 survived.  They are doing well.  In fact they are about 5ft tall now!!!

muntjac

Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 21:40 »
yes you can use compost mate no worries but i was sending the cuttings on to a pal who wanted them for his farm .he has bees and uses them for the honey  bit /also has a passion for butterflies .so i set em in sand and then wash the sand off pack them in a plastic bag bare rooted with a drop water in .inflate the bag seal securlyand send em off to him he then puts them in compost to grow on

pcwhelan

Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 13:32 »
Can Buddleias be grown permanently in pots?

Trillium

Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 15:35 »
They'd need to be large enough pots for the root system, and a drainage hole.

weeeed

Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:31 »
Do what I did. Just break a small piece off like a heal cutting and stick it in where you want it to grow. I gurantee success. You may get fed up of it though. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 23:36 »
blimey - just chop bits off stick'em in the ground and forget. you'll have 5ft bushes in no time, they are SO easy as they are a hedgerow native plant (derived from) and will grow from bits of stick stuck in the ground basically.... you can be a bit more scientific about it but there is no need.....
Death OR Cake ???

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
pruning?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:30 »
I realise this takes this thread off topic but it's the same subject!

I prune my buddleia each year but I have left it to spring this time (it's huge!!  :D.
I don't know how ruthless to be, can I chop all branches (old and new) to the same level down etc?

Thanks all.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Buddleia propogating?
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 18:44 »
I think vicious is the term you're looking for (or at least what I intend to be with mine ... ) about 18" I think!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 21:28 »
I've got one in the front border and every year, usually March, I chop it right down as it grows so big, but the blooming thing STILL grows too big!!!   :(

andy135

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 23:16 »
We have around 20 bushes and they self seed everywhere. We just pull them up, stick them in pots with any old compost and give them away.

sazhig

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 15:18 »
We have a Buddleia in our tiny garden and we get new plants popping up all over the place, even in some of the patio pots ??? . The main plant itself gets a hard prune over winter, down to the main stump, which is about 6" to 1' high. It also gets pruned late in summer when the branches encroach too much on the path and washing line it's near.

The prunings are handy as well - I cut them long, trim off the foliage and smaller branches, and they make great cane substitutes  :)
Saz

xx
propogating holly

Started by Rampant_Weasel on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 19:25
by sunshineband
xx
Buddleia

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 13:13
by Dilly Dom
xx
Buddleia

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2019, 16:08
by RubyRed
xx
non-flowering buddleia

Started by Ali -oops on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2021, 07:19
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.