Cut flowers on the plot?

• 43 Replies

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
Cut flowers on the plot?
« on: February 20, 2007, 23:43 »
Hi All,

OK..... 99% of my gardening is veg, but I would like to grow some flowers that I can 'cut' and bring a bunch home for the wife each week from the allotment.

What flowers would be easy to grow, and be suitable for cutting.  :D
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

WG.

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 05:35 »
Nice idea and a Big subject, fatgaz, since each flower has its own season too.  It would take up a fair bit of room in your plot (and a lot of effort) for you to be able to take flowers home weekly for even 6 months of the year.

Veg are a major priority in my garden so I am not the best qualified to answer.   I make some room for the following all of which can be cut although I really only pick the sweet peas and oregano since the garden surrounds the house and the other flowers are left to bloom in place :

daffodil
gladioli
sweet pea
oregano (yes, the herb, the flower spikes are lovely)
dahlia
rose

Have a scan of this forum http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewforum.php?f=6 since you'll find others there who actually know what they are talking about (unlike me).

shaun

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:55 »
sweet william and wall flowers for me also sweet peas
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

WG.

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 08:52 »
Quote from: "shaun"
sweet william and wall flowers for me also sweet peas
Yeah, wallflowers are a good one because they can fit in quite well with the rotation on a veg plot.  Take on the seedlings in a nursery bed and then transplant into flowering position after lifting potatoes.

Watch out though ... they do harbour clubroot so treat them as part of your brassica "quota" in a rotation

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:57 »
Sweet peas (loads of flowers) and a fragrance to die for.....   my hubby cuts them daily for me in the summer  and its always well appreciated  :wink:  :lol:
Starting from scratch............

Trillium

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 00:10 »
I agree, Sorrel. Sweetpeas - specifically, the older single named varieties with gorgeous flowers and loads of fragrance. Give them lots of support as they'll get tall and regular cutting will keep them going for many many weeks. Mulch them as well to get them through dry spells or they'll bolt to seed on you - which you can save for next year. Calendulas give loads of flowers all season but watch they don't self seed everywhere; easy to pull out tho. Same with cosmos - masses of flowers until frost.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 07:20 »
Asters are also another easy grow, long stemmed flower & come in many colours & varities.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 19:15 »
FatGaz, there's another advantage to planting the calendulas - your wife can make a dandy hand cream from the flower petals. Check out Sarah Raven's recipe/video clip on  bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_and_radio/factsheet/pages/36.shtml#plant642

Sorry, I don't know how to enable it, try pen and paper.  :wink:

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
flowers on plot
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 21:43 »
yes growing flowers on plot is and good idea it help bring in the bees and other to your veg flowers been and peas get fertlized and produce a better crop , we grow a lot of flowers but they are mixed in with the veg in small patches all over the graden and we have load for the home four about seven month sof the year try out all types and seeen what does best in your alloment yours big green bloke
remember plants can't read books

Annie

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 22:04 »
I think it`s a nice idea(here speaks a wifey who gets no flowers).Sweet peas,also they don`t take too much space and the more you pick the more you get.Sweet william,stock.why not have some sneaky pots with aneamonne de cean,plant in april they will flower sept/oct,lilly bulbs can be planted now as well,both can be cut but take the pots home and they will flower longer-now that kind of forward planning is v.romantic and....

muntjac

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 22:13 »
ok you cheap skates we talking real flowers for the wifey here . i grow a bed of crysanths
small bed just passed the leeks on bottom right
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1690&highlight=aching+back

i have 2 different ones in there colour wise and i grow em for close ones graves and friends etc . you can take cuttinga and refresh them .just dump a few barrows of manure on em every couple years and you can cut them to your hearts content ,when the heads form i put brown paper sweetie bags over them to stop the rian spoiling them .also earwigs area  problem but grease on the stems sorts that out . but the crowns from good suppliers .one tip i reccomend is never take them off a friends plot as they closesness of the roots etc can hide loads of eel worm and othernasties .i lime only once in 5 yrs and only lightly
still alive /............

Annie

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 22:21 »
Thats why chrysanths are such a bad idea,the are winter grave flowers!

muntjac

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 22:26 »
nooooooooooooo, thay are beutiful flowers in thier own right .to see some of the collections like wisley had/has was a delight over 500 different flowers .its only old fellas like me who grow a few " ont plot " that spoil the real charm of them
 try here for  some loverlyones
i can recomend them
 http://www.hallsofheddon.co.uk/pages/catalogue/19_index.html

Annie

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 23:10 »
I don`t know,along with long stemmed carnations they smack of garage shop buys.
 Don`t spoil my fantasy of you as a rough diamond with a heart of gold by calling yourself an old fella!

muntjac

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 23:18 »
im 50 .with the body of a 30 yr old ................. well i would if i could catch up with one  :wink:

xx
flowers in veg plot

Started by dmg on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 19:47
by devonbarmygardener
xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 22:40
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Bay flowers

Started by Spana on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 19:16
by sunshineband
xx
Cut Flowers

Started by parttimer on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 19:52
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.