Jeyes Fluid

• 11 Replies

shell

Jeyes Fluid
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:02 »
Hi everyone,
I have been lurking for a while, but now have problems with red mite, With how much water to I dilute the Jayes fluid?
Thanks  :)

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
Re: Jeyes Fluid
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 13:43 »
I found it was pretty much useless unless it was super concentrated, then it really did wipe them out. But expensive to do a whole coop:(

abd1964

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 16:50 »
is jeyes fluid safe to use in the coop????

Caralou

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 17:36 »
I really hope so as I use it to clean mine out regularly  :ohmy: :) Make sure it has dried out before bed time - in this weather not a problem, but in winter do it early on to give it a chance and you'll be fine.

shell

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 19:52 »
I found it was pretty much useless unless it was super concentrated, then it really did wipe them out. But expensive to do a whole coop:(

When you say super concentrated to you mean half and half?
I have two 6 x 4 sheds to do  :(

Caralou

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 19:58 »
I personally haven't found the need to superconcentrate. Have mixed at 250mls to 5ltrs water and have kept on top of problems.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 18:52 »
I've just had my first experience of red mites, found them on & under the ends of the perches when I took them out last Wednesday and turned the hose on them - there seemed to be thousands! I was advised to use Jeyes and dashed out to buy some, diluted it for cleaning animal housing (65ml per 5 litre) and applied with a pressurised weedsprayer, let it dry then reapplied. Not sure if that was strong enough as I haven't seen any since but have been itching and even dreaming about them running all over my walls! Woke in a sweat... I also used a powder on the birds and will reapply both in the next day or two, although a bloke at work whose dad used to keep poultry told me I'd never get rid of them, Jeyes wouldn't do anything and I'd better prepare to lose my lovely ex-batts - Job's comforter or what!!!

So, have I done the right thing or is there more I should be doing??

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 22:36 »
Foxy recommends Milbenex for red mite now that Creosote is banned.

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 22:43 »
I brought some Duramitex to clean my shed. it's sold for pigeon lofts but can be used on chicken coops as well.
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

urban-chickens

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 17:17 »
i use a jeyes fluid spray

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 21:20 »
Thanks for the input everyone. I redosed the house with a higher concentrate of the Jeyes mix on Monday, there was already a new gathering of the mite brethren under one of the perch blocks so gathered the congregation and condemned them to the flames, along with the bedding! The girls are all looking really well and I'm hoping to have caught it in time.

I've Googled Milbenex looking for where I can buy it here (no luck so far) and have found, via another forum, that it also trades under the name Mite Ex, distributed by Solway.

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 22:47 »
Thanks for the input everyone. I redosed the house with a higher concentrate of the Jeyes mix on Monday, there was already a new gathering of the mite brethren under one of the perch blocks so gathered the congregation and condemned them to the flames, along with the bedding! The girls are all looking really well and I'm hoping to have caught it in time.

I've Googled Milbenex looking for where I can buy it here (no luck so far) and have found, via another forum, that it also trades under the name Mite Ex, distributed by Solway.

If you have such a heavy infestation, forget Jeyes. Mitex is just another name for Diatom. Milbenex is available from Bowden and Knights

http://www.bowdenandknights.com/

They are more geared towards commercial usage,Milbenex is a very powerful chemical.  Have you tried Poultry Shield yet?? :)

xx
jeyes fluid

Started by flatcap on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 08:33
by slowef
xx
Jeyes fluid

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 11:38
by Tenhens
xx
Jeyes Fluid...

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 20:07
by karlooben
xx
Jeyes Fluid

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 14:49
by muntjac

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.