chicken set up

• 9 Replies

bevwar

chicken set up
« on: July 18, 2011, 13:55 »
I'm seriously thinking of keeping a couple of chickens in my average size urban garden. I have an old Anderson bomb shelter at the bottom which I would like to convert and cordon off about 3metres square of ground for them.  Can any members advise me if this sounds like suitable accomodation, and can I get away with just two hens?

Dominic

Re: chicken set up
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 14:06 »
I would have thought a bomb shelter would, if anything, be too big.
3sqms is enough for 1 chicken, barely
I have 11.5 for 4, and they free range evenings and weekends.

Two hens should be fine.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

kegs

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 14:27 »
Go for 3 hens to be on the safe side.  We got three in April and lost one to a prolapse in the first couple of weeks.  At least that way if you have three the two that might be left will have company.

Shop Keep

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 14:46 »
When you say 3 metres square, do you mean 3m x 3m or 3 square metres?

Can you put their coop inside the bomb shelter and give them an indoor run aswell?

bevwar

chicken set up
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 08:36 »
Thanks for your replies

The shelter is is approx 2m deep by 1.5 m wide.  The pen attached could be 3m by 3m with walls on 3 sides and a smallish plum tree for a bit of shade

Three hens you say?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:41 »
yes three hens is far better than 2  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 13:20 »
Is the anderson one of those corrigated iron thingy's? they would be too cold in winter and too hot in summer.

bevwar

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 17:14 »
Yes it is a corrugated thingy, its pretty cool in there now but could be cold in the winter too :unsure:

NovaStar

• Urban Hippy
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 12:03 »
Hi bevwar

I'm new here too - been lurking for a while but just had to join when I saw your thread!
OH and I are also looking to start keeping chickens and are also looking at the options to convert the old bomb shelter in our garden! Ours isn't an Anderson one though - it's brick-built with a reinforced concrete roof. The walls and ceiling are over a foot thick so the internal dimensions are roughly 4' x 5' (1.3 x 1.5m)!

I've done a LOT of reading so far, so hope the plans sound about right!

We plan to:

- Grind a pop-hole through from one end (fortunately OH has an angle grinder!)

- Paint the inside with whitewash and industrial floor paint for easy cleaning (the ceiling is smooth, reinforced concrete, so no rafters or hiding places for mites), and use Hemcore (or similar) inside the coop

- Build a couple of nest boxes inside with a small hinged 'roof' so they're a bit darker

- Attach a few branches from an old apple tree we cut down for perches, with a large, old litter tray underneath.

- Replace the door with a home-made one that has a high mesh 'window' for light/ventilation.

- Build an adjoining, fully-covered run on an existing flowerbed, extending to about 5'x7' (1.5 x 2.1m), with multiple perches etc.

- The base will be slightly sloping (drainage) concrete covered with wood chippings, with a 'sandpit'

- The roof will be Onduline and the run panels/door will be made using 1"x0.5" weld mesh.(we have a big fox and rat problem, so I want it to be as proofed as possible!)

Will this set-up be big enough for 3 chooks if they are also let out into the garden for a bit when I'm back from work?
~.~ You can only fly as high as the dreams you are to live ~.~

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 12:55 »
Can you make the run any bigger? 5' x 7' will be tight for 3 hens, really they need at least 2sm each, although the DEFRA guidelines say 1sm, but that is the bare minimum.

I couldn't see my chickens running around in such a small space.  Of course, you can maximise space if you can give them different levels to fly onto like the perches or platforms.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Is my chicken ill?

Started by chickencoop on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 20:01
by Zak the Rabbit
clip
chicken run

Started by candymancan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 17:31
by Aliparty
smiley
Can't eat chicken

Started by treacle on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 21:38
by joyfull

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.