How buttery do you like your butter to be?

• 30 Replies

Growster...

Re: How buttery do you like your butter to be?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 05:56 »
There used to be an advert years ago, which said 'Please don't cook with Kerrygold'!

I never understood that one, but assumed there wasn't enough to go round, but only yesterday, it was £1.70 a pop, which is only 10p less than the aforementioned butter we get from our butchers!

Butter presumably is one of those commodities which supermarkets make wars on, and try to dupe customers!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 20:10 »
Only have butter as a treat fresh bread just has filling.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Dabhand

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 00:19 »
We have tried the majority of butter alternatives and have found that Clover and Clover lighter are the best tasting and healthier alternatives.  If you look out for them you can get them on a two for one offer quite frequently.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 11:13 »
this morning on my toast I tried President spreadable and I must say on hot toast it is the best spreadable I have tried. It is made from butter, cream and salt. I've not tried their normal hard block butter but after this I will give it a try. I think I bought the spreadable from Asda - I looked in Tescos this morning and they only have the hard block version.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jaydig

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 15:14 »
I don't mind a decent spreadable butter alternative on sandwiches, BUT, I MUST have proper butter on toast and jacket potatoes - and lots of it! 

Snoop

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 19:14 »
I never understood that one, but assumed there wasn't enough to go round, but only yesterday, it was £1.70 a pop, which is only 10p less than the aforementioned butter we get from our butchers!

Butter presumably is one of those commodities which supermarkets make wars on, and try to dupe customers!

Interesting. I remember butter as being cheap in the UK compared to here, but maybe not. For us, it's the local olive oil or supermarket brand butter. Oil is usually used here to 'moisten' bread but if it's toast for breakfast, then it has to be butter.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 07:18 »
Toast and olive oil are a great substitute for fried bread too, Snoop..;0)

They taste exactly the same!

Snoop

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 08:13 »
Growster, doubtless you'd like the Catalan specialty of toast rubbed with raw garlic, fresh tomato, a drizzle of olive oil and perhaps a sprinkling of salt. I can't wait for the tomato glut to start... Cut a tomato in half and squidge down onto the toast to get the pulp and seeds out but leaving the skin behind.

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 14:32 »
Growster, doubtless you'd like the Catalan specialty of toast rubbed with raw garlic, fresh tomato, a drizzle of olive oil and perhaps a sprinkling of salt. I can't wait for the tomato glut to start... Cut a tomato in half and squidge down onto the toast to get the pulp and seeds out but leaving the skin behind.

I know we're a bit off-topic here, but yes, that is a favourite, in fact we used some old bought toms today as a sort of pre-season warm bruschetta...

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 14:39 »

Yum!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 11:01 »
We've just discovered 'Bertolli with butter' and that is scrummy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 11:16 »
I prefer the stuff I make myself.  Whenever we go to the C&C I look out for the almost out of date cream, once I got 2x4litres of whipping cream for 50p each!  :ohmy:  But that doesn't happen very often.  I buy it and freeze it, then when we want a treat, or I make cakes for when visitors are expected I use my own butter.

I buy whatever spreadable is on offer, as its only Brian really that has buttery on his bread or toast.  If I have something on toast, like egg or beans, then no buttery.  If I have a sandwich or crackerbread, then it's a laughing cow light triangle or philadelphia light spread.

RubyR3d

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 18:43 »
I always used to think that Anchor butter must be a bit special as they went to a lot of trouble to import it all the way from New Zealand.

For the last couple of years Anchor butter has actually been made in the UK, although to be honest it's a long time since I remember tasting any brand with a wow factor.  :unsure:

Anyone remember the old TV ad for Stork margarine "Can YOU tell Stork from butter?"

(Answer: you CANNOT be serious!!  ::)  :lol:)
.      The main reason most butters taste bland is because most dairy cattle are no longer given access to grassy fields and are kept and fed indoors more often than not. When anchor butter was from  new zealand it had a lovely buttery taste. Another factor is the lack of cream in the milk. Its homogenised and messed around with far more than it used to be. To taste butter and milk how it used to be look at the website called real milk or something like that. I seem to remember it gives a list of proper butter and which supermarkets sell it.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 18:52 »
Just stuffed my face with a slice of freshly made bread, home made strawberry jam and home made butter. Not long had tea but....well...I had to test the butter, and bread, and jam.

Just a pig really! :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 21:12 »
Just stuffed my face with a slice of freshly made bread, home made strawberry jam and home made butter. Not long had tea but....well...I had to test the butter, and bread, and jam.

Just a pig really! :lol:

One of us really, Tosc!

Please don't change!

;0)

xx
stork with butter

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

16 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 15:19
by chrissie B
xx
peanut butter make or buy?

Started by LILLILEAF on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 20:16
by Growster...

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.