does anyone have a pet turkey??

• 24 Replies

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« on: November 22, 2007, 20:39 »
hi, been thinking about getting a turkey (not to eat)

does anyone have any?

are they easy to look after?

are they noisey?

or anything else anyone can offer

thanks

WG.

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 20:45 »
You must know the old saying ... "a turkey is for Christmas, not for life"  :wink:

Seriously though, I have no idea whether they make good pets or not.

Bodger

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 21:14 »
I had a sort of a pet turkey, we called him Mighty Joe. He was a Norfolk Black that this hard man here :oops: couldn't quite bring himself to give the chop. :oops:
I did for some of his brothers and sisters, no messing but not to him. :D

I eventually heard that the Acton Scott Farm Museum in Shropshire were short of a Gobbler :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  and now, should any of you go there and see their Norfolk Black Turkeys, you can rest assured that their Grand or even their Great Grand Pappy was our Mighty Joe Turkey :D  :D  :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 21:24 »
aww bodger, bless ya little cottons :D

so are they noisey

Bodger

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 22:03 »
Yes but the noise is a nice noise. Its one that I could easily put up with but then you must realise that this is a bloke talking who has 20 plus cocks crowing every morning :oops:  :oops:

I even have a problem sleeping when we go away because I can't hear them. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 22:06 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
this is a bloke talking who has 20 plus cocks crowing every morning :oops:  :oops:

:shock: Glad I don't live near you dear  :wink:

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 22:38 »
My friend had one and he said they make brilliant pets very friendly and followed him everywhere but I think you need to get it very young

Bodger

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 23:03 »
If you get it very young, you'll probably eat it.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Its when they get to the stage that you realise that they will be as tough as old boots that they become pets.

Mighty Joe was as thick as pig poop. Every night I had to drive him off the same old gate and put him into his shed. God ! He slept in it every night and still he couldn't work out where he was supposed to kip . :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I talk to some of my chickens and I pretend to myself that they just might be able to understand what I'm saying but no way would my imagination run to me thinking that just for a minute that that thick sod could understand a word I was sayig to him . :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Sad innit ?  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

WG.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 23:06 »
You realise, Bodger, that you are rapidly blowing your credibility amongst the serious poultry keepers on here!  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Bodger

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 23:11 »
I'm trying my best to WG :D

mercury

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 11:42 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
If you get it very young, you'll probably eat it.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Its when they get to the stage that you realise that they will be as tough as old boots that they become pets.

Mighty Joe was as thick as pig poop. Every night I had to drive him off the same old gate and put him into his shed. God ! He slept in it every night and still he couldn't work out where he was supposed to kip . :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I talk to some of my chickens and I pretend to myself that they just might be able to understand what I'm saying but no way would my imagination run to me thinking that just for a minute that that thick sod could understand a word I was sayig to him . :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Sad innit ?  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Bodger, i'm sure i've read somewhere, that they're the stupidest bird ever :)  :)  :)

Jellyhead

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 17:38 »
HV we have soooo much in common. I posted a similar message back in the summer. You see i made friends with a turkey down the road who I have called Terence. We chat nearly every day when I drop my kids off at school. EVERYONE thinks i am mad. That Turkeys are ugly :shock:  :evil: I have been told that turkeys shouldn't mix with chooks but Munty and loads of others say that if hygiene is good then there is no problem. Terence lives with a wife and loads of chooks. I have asked loads and loads of people and basically my only wish for Christmas is a couple of turkey poults :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: so there :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 18:09 »
Quote from: "Frenchconnection"
HV we have soooo much in common. I posted a similar message back in the summer. You see i made friends with a turkey down the road who I have called Terence. We chat nearly every day when I drop my kids off at school. EVERYONE thinks i am mad. That Turkeys are ugly :shock:  :evil: I have been told that turkeys shouldn't mix with chooks but Munty and loads of others say that if hygiene is good then there is no problem. Terence lives with a wife and loads of chooks. I have asked loads and loads of people and basically my only wish for Christmas is a couple of turkey poults :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: so there :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

hi frenchie, i dont even bother trying to deny that im a nutter anymore, no one thinks im odd when they pop round for fresh eggs.

and i agree turkeys are not at all ugly. its easy enough to get some young ones here, just not sure on the noise level. my direct neighbours are fine, but next door but one is a nasty women, you know the sort, no life so snouts into everyone elses :twisted:

Bodger

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 18:19 »
I deny that I'm a nutter but they don't believe me. :roll:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 18:25 »
I saw on the telly one time that if you say "Scooby Dooby Dooooooooooooo!!!" to a group of turkeys they gobble on in that daft way that they do!

Note of warning though, if you have chooks you can't keep turkeys anywhere near them aparantly (although Munty will probably tell you this is horse poop) because the chickens have some disease that the turkeys are particularly susceptible to.  Aparantly.

xx
Turkey

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 12:42
by poppies
xx
X-mas Turkey

Started by massa on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 08:28
by joyfull
xx
Turkey

Started by Liney on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 14:46
by joyfull
question
can you have turkey and hen chicks in together?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 08:21
by joyfull

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 38 queries.