Leek pro

• 2 Replies

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Leek pro
« on: October 03, 2008, 12:07 »
Good afternoon everyone.

I'm a new member but I have been visiting this site for a few months.  I have a problem with my leeks.  I've only had my allotment a short while and this is my first shot at growing leeks.

Since getting off to a flying start my leeks have in the last few weeks started to rot.  The leaves are drying up from the top and going a very light brown colour.  A couple have been reduced to stumps.  

I have looked at a few books that have called this condition paper leaf?  Does that sound right?
Can any one suggest a treatment for my problem?  I like to think of myself as a largely organic grower but I don't intend to lose 120 leeks for the sake of my organic credentials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

farmersue

Leek pro
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:46 »
Have you checked for the dreaded leek moth? (See earlier post on this)  If they have horrid little wriggly things in it could be that. I nearly lost all my leeks, and i was so proud of them.  :cry:

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Leek pro
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 11:21 »
Thanks for the pointer.  This looks like the culprit.  I'm going to struggle to keep the crop now.  

Apparently nicotine is the best deterrent but I'll struggle to find that in non-commercial quantities.  Would that make my leeks addictive?  :) Having read up on my new nemesis I've learned that it is best to plant leeks under fleece to protect them from the moths.

Oh well I'll save the ones that I can and process them.  It's a good job that I like leek and potato soup!  

I'm learning that some vegetable growing lessons are free and some you have to pay for.

xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
I need help with a Leek

Started by Trevorfm on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2017, 13:29
by viettaclark
xx
Leek & Little One

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 23:03
by compostqueen
xx
I need a leek....

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 08:54
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.