Unexpected pleasure!

• 6 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Unexpected pleasure!
« on: October 09, 2018, 17:16 »
 Last year I grew Nicotiana Sylvestris from seed. It flowered and died back in Autumn. Despite the 'beast from the East' , this year it came up from self sown seed and is now looking great!
Anyone else have any welcome volunteers?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Unexpected pleasure!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 17:36 »
I always get self-seeded Verbena Bonariensis, native primroses, mauve violets and a cheerful mix of mini pansies (should they really be called violas?)  :)
I started with a few bulbs of the Byzantine gladiolus, but they are now self seeding as well, though at a much slower rate than the others.

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 19:16 »
Last year I grew Nicotiana Sylvestris from seed. It flowered and died back in Autumn. Despite the 'beast from the East' , this year it came up from self sown seed and is now looking great!
Anyone else have any welcome volunteers?
It's strange you should mention the Nicotiana because this year I've had half a dozen plants appear in my garden, and I haven't grown this for about five years.  It's just flowering now, and it is a very welcome "free gift".

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 21:12 »
I have had lots of bedding plants that have seeded in cracks and crevices, like lobelia.   Always happy to see them, so I have a cheery word with them, and they are all flowering bloomin' lovely.    Similar things to those Mum mentioned as well.    :)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 08:45 »
We had a very pretty display of antirrhinums in our polytunnel this year, grown from seed imported with some soil previously in one of our outside beds. Lovely crimson with a yellow flash.

Out on the plot Verbena comes up like mustard and cress, as does golden feverfew, dill, flat leaved parsley and  bronze fennel, plus calendula and cornflowers, mullein, echium and candytuft. They look delightful together too, and the insects adore them.. love these "Gifts from God" that appear like this and give so much pleasure
(Hoping the Cerinthes join the part for next Spring too  :D)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:49 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 09:06 »
We had a very pretty display of antirrhinums in our polytunnel this year, grown from seed imported with some soil previously in one of our outside beds. Lovely crimson with a yellow flash.

Out on the plot Verbena comes up like mustard and cress, as does golden feverfew, dill, flat leaved parsley and  bronze fennel, plus calendula and cornflowers, mullein, echium and candytuft. They look delightful together too, and the insects adore them.. love these "Gifts from God" that appear like this and give so much pleasure
(Hoping the Cerinthes join the part for next Spring too  :D)

Forgot the Cerinthes - I've got two lovely patches that have germinated from this year's plants (also self-seeded), and with a bit of luck they might even flower again.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:04 »
Amazingly ivehad a pot of lobelia flower from last years potofbought plants. I assume it’s seeded itself
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 39 queries.