very Pale comb

• 5 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
very Pale comb
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:14 »
Hi, just wondered if anyone had any ideas why Speedy's comb have become so pale and dry looking in the past 2 weeks?  she had swollen eyes last week but these have mainly returned to normal tho is still a little puffy.  She's also been laying a lot of soft eggs recently but apart from that is hale and hearty and still very bright.
I thought it might be mites as I often feel itchy when around the chickens and found 2 ticks on me (yuk!) so although in my 2 yrs of chicken keeping I'm yet to see a red mite (still not 100% sure what to look for but I really dont think I have them and invested in an Eglu to help eliminate this potential problem) I painted the interior of our Eglu with a Diatom/Poultry shield slurry, dusted each chook with red mite powder and added more to their bedding. 
Anything else I should do - any ideas what could be the problem with  Speedy?

Cat

kegs

Re: very Pale comb
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 12:57 »
If she were mine I'd use Frontline puppy strength on her which will get rid of any lice and make sure she's been wormed with Flubenvet powder (or Marriages do layers pellets with it already added).

Just incase it's anything else can you let us know what breed of chicken she is and how old she is?

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 14:10 »
Thanks for yr reply...she's an ex bat we've had for 1 year, so I'm guessing she's 2-2.5.
They were wormed with Flubenvet abt 6 weeks ago and the red ,mite powder I use is Barrier - tho poss not effective on ticks...

kegs

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 15:01 »
I'd definitely use Frontline or Johnson's Bird anti-mite Extra spray.  Keep an eye on her eyes though just in case.  Let us know how she gets on and fingers crossed she improves rapidly.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 15:51 »
Is she still laying at all?  An ex bat of that age will certianly be at the end of her laying cycle.

When hens stop laying their combs naturally go pale and shrink (a bright red comb is an advertisment to the cockerel that she is fertile).  So if she isn't laying, it is just part of her senior years, and nothing to worry about :)

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 16:48 »
Hi Casey,
i did wonder abt that myself but yes she's still laying although most are soft these days and I feel she's getting to the end of her cycle...

I'll try the mite powders recommended and keep an eye on her.  She's not acting unwell in any way at the moment however.
C

xx
Hen with pale comb

Started by kingnothing on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 11:55
by kingnothing
xx
Very Pale Comb

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 08:52
by cochin
xx
Very pale comb and wattles

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 09:10
by Bonniebean
xx
very pale comb on broody - is this normal?!

Started by Sparkle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 10:02
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 39 queries.