Self propelling lawnmower drive issues

• 1 Replies

SimonIG10

Self propelling lawnmower drive issues
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:05 »
I picked up an old Frigidaire rotary mower from Ebay and after repairing the deck it now runs. The drive mech is a mystery and I wondered how it is supposed to work. When you pull on the handlebar lever arrangement it rotates the transmission shaft (via a cable)and puts tension on the belt which is then supposed to drive the wheels. Inside the wheels they each have a pinion wheel which I think is supposed to work like a freewheel. Should I be able to pull the mower easily backwards in 'freewheel'? I imagine the pinion is supposed to only lock and drive when the drive is activated? The pinion gears have 3 pins in them that seem to grip the shaft. Is it all supposed to remain dry or should it be oiled/greased? At the moment I have the RH wheel which drives but does not free up when drive deactivated and pulled back. The LH wheel does not seem to drive at all.
I think once I understand the principle of operation I may be able to fix it. I cant vouch for what the previous owner did here as it was in a terrible state. I can find no info on the model I have online and looks to have been made in the USA. Im also hoping to get a grass box but not optimistic. Its got electric start so should be good for everyone to use over the plot.
I can post some pictures if it would help.

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: Self propelling lawnmower drive issues
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38 »
Try asking the Old Lawnmower club, they seem to know things about the most obscure makes of mower, and Frigidaire must be one of the rarest mowers in the UK http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/forum
R Tallentire

clip
sabo self drive lawnmower

Started by adal on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 00:11
by jezza
xx
drive belts

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 22:16
by shaun
xx
drive belt

Started by andyk on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 14:02
by andyk
xx
auxilary drive

Started by thedadtony on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 20:23
by thedadtony

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.