Life in the old girl yet!

• 7 Replies

Chrysalis

Life in the old girl yet!
« on: January 21, 2014, 22:19 »
Our ladies, Beryl and Brenda, have surprised us this week.....they are warrens and nearly four years old.  Eggs are like hen's teeth these days. A big moult in November/December and no eggs since Nov 9th.
Imagine the delight - four eggs in the last four days! :) :) :)  It's Beryl, she's decided to pay for her keep at last.

Just wanted to share the love.... :D

Springlands

Re: Life in the old girl yet!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:13 »
Good for Beryl and even nicer at this time of year. Our first hens which were warrens were laying when they were nearly five so you never know. We have 11 hens and are only getting the odd egg at present so enjoy Beryl' s little gifts.  :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 16:41 »
That's wonderful!  It just goes to show that one can never tell! 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

barley

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 21:25 »
I had a bantam hen called baby when I was 12 , they were an easter present 
(  my sisters choose fluffy yellow chicks but I choose the scruffy black chick )
she lived till I was 24 years old  :ohmy: that made her 12  :ohmy:

she layed on and off right till the end - I still have her last egg and a feather in a silver egg cup - I am now 50 !!
I cryed like a baby myself when I lost her

Beryl & Brenda sound fab  :tongue2:

Chrysalis

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 22:25 »
They are fab.!

My first banty, Clara (her mate was called Schumann  :nowink:), lived for seven years, which I thought was good going. 12 is amazing!  Clara was always broody, so not many eggs.  She finally gave up the very day we moved house, as if she knew we were moving and she'd have a new owner.  I was heartbroken and it was another thirty years till I had hens again!

We're looking for some banties and new big girls in the next few weeks, but the Brown's (Beryl and Brenda) will stay in genteel retirement.....

SL

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 14:30 »
Wow, 12 years old - that's amazing Barley! Do bantams normally live longer than regular size hens?

Out of interest - how old on average does a normal (hybrid) hen live?  (I'm quite new to this) I have 1 Speckledy and 1 Colombian blacktail, both just over a year old.

Chrysalis

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 16:35 »
Hybrids are bred for specific tasks - mainly eggs.  So when they've had a couple of seasons the laying trails off.  Ours are about 4years old now, but some have given up the ghost after about 18 months-2 years.  Generally, our hybrids have lived between 2 and 4 years, but some folks will testify to longer.

barley

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 21:51 »
Wow, 12 years old - that's amazing Barley! Do bantams normally live longer than regular size hens?

Out of interest - how old on average does a normal (hybrid) hen live?  (I'm quite new to this) I have 1 Speckledy and 1 Colombian blacktail, both just over a year old.

I must admit I have found my  bantams tend to live up to 7 years on average , I think my 12 year old one was exceptional and rare

I lost a bantam newhampshire red 2 years ago  :(and she was 8
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 21:54 by barley »

xx
Ive been a very cheeky girl!

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 16:28
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
Is Tilda a girl?

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 18:36
by JaK
xx
Lost another girl :(

Started by Knight Family on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 21:58
by LittleRedHen
xx
Good Girl!

Started by SurreyLass on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 16:00
by min200

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.