When coming up through the soil, what are carrots supposed to look like?

• 7 Replies

zestymordant

Can anybody show me a picture of what carrots look like when just starting to come up through the soil?

I ask because I planted carrots a few weeks ago and since then a ton of other little plants have sprung up, especially on one side of my bed. The horsetail is easily distinguished and can be dealt with but I don't want to end up massacring my carrots weeding the other ones.

At first my friend said the little plants we saw were the carrots, I thought "that was quick!" but very similar ones have since been found around my onions, and they've started to sprout up between the rows,

I doubt the carrots are coming through yet, I can take pictures if that helps.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Try this:

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Bing

• Experienced Member
Just Google/bing in their image search: ' veg name germination '. You can find most of things
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

zestymordant

zestymordant

Well I've got to say I don't appear to have anything like that. There is all sorts growing over my carrot plot but the six rows I've planted don't seem to have yielded much. Instead of six neat rows of seedlings there is just a mess of all sorts of plants everywhere! Maybe I planted the carrot seeds too deep but it's a shame about all the other plant life. I daren't control it at the moment in case I do accidentally kill any carrots! Maybe it's best just to wait.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG

JayG

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the earlier pic DD - was starting to forget what they look like myself this year!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
My second sowing is just through after 11 days -- first ones went to the little black  slugs before I put any blue pellets of death down

I handweed painstakingly around them, which is very therapeutic (said that before I know, but I do enjoy doing it, as the seedlings look so good afterwards)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
My carrots are coming up!!!

Started by beki on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 13:32
by MICK WARREN
xx
soil mix for carrots

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 15:34
by compostqueen
xx
Carrots in heavy soil.

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 02:30
by Jeanieblue
xx
Sieving soil for carrots

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 19:39
by Jonajo

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 41 queries.