CHICKENS AND CATS

• 5 Replies

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
CHICKENS AND CATS
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:22 »
Hi all,

Last night we were suddenly allerted to one of next doors cats pacing up and down the chicken run, and clawing at it.

Should I be worried about this?  Many people have told me that cats are pretty terrified of chickens once they realise that they'll peck 'em, but as mine are Silkies and a small breed, is the same likely to apply?

I only let them out into the 'pen' (open fenced off area which I put up fot them to roam around in made of that orange safety fencing and u-stakes) when I'm out with them, but would like to get to the stage where they can come and roam around eventually.

PaulineM

Re: CHICKENS AND CATS
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13 »
Most people on here say that domestic cats shouldn't be a problem but ferel definitely would be. I don't have cats but did see one one day walking towards my run (my girls weren't free ranging then) I went out and chased it and so far I haven't seen it again.
It does sound worrying tho that your visitor was clawing to get in, get a water pistol and give it a scare and hopefully it will get the message!
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:15 »

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 15:44 »
  ??? Sounds like the jury is out.

But I would say .... Bl**dy cats.  My garden smells discusting in places because they spray all over my garden.

I wouldn't mind if they were mine! Grrr.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 16:14 »
My cat started off very confidently only to be gradually cowed to the point where he will now run away if the chx come to eat his food!
Cats are used to being kings of the garden jungle with birds, mice etc.. I think it gives them a bit of a surprise when the chx stand up to them but they don't make the same mistake twice.
The best solution to other cats in your garden is to get your own. Cats are very territorial and they will defend their own garden against all comers. If you really don't like them water pistol deterents are good.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 16:23 »
I too was concerned about the cat and chicken worry  :blink: I have ten cats  :nowink: :nowink: they are the best friends with the chickens, the chickens eat the cats food if we leave the back door open (its a good quality dried food) and the cats just move out of the way!! If one cat decides to play with another cat the chooks run and watch and get very protective over their favourite moggie and go to her defence. Also they all cuddle up on the garden dining table to sun themselves.

The chickens even chase one cat, he is enormous and they run and peck his tail so he is very wary of them. I do feel lucky that the menagerie all get along but I dont think I would trust any outside cat especially ferral and I always put the girls away if I am going out.

Hope this helps

Broody  :)
if wishes were changes.......

xx
chickens and cats???

Started by nifter on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 18:00
by diamond_lil
xx
cats & chickens

Started by hamcat on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 23:38
by Chookaholic
xx
cats and chickens.

Started by ruthsamuel2 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 21:52
by lina
xx
Will Chickens Be Okay With 2 Cats + a Dog??

Started by pookey on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 07:49
by flatcap

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 39 queries.