shallots

• 22 Replies

mdjlucan

shallots
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 09:24 »
there was a frost last night wood it be ok to put my shallots in to day or next week
metal detector man

Ma and Pa Snip

Re: shallots
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 09:46 »
there was a frost last night wood it be ok to put my shallots in to day or next week

If the ground has surface frost on it as you dig it over all you are doing is making the soil underneath colder.

In my view get them done on a day when the ground is not frosted.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 09:48 »
The frost has probably gone by now, (it has here) so it will be fine to plant them

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 13:45 »
Great advice there. Last year I was constantly re-setting by onions in the ground. Overall I lost 25% I reckon. I'll also try some fleese this year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 14:06 »
I agree with mum. With the current day time temperatures the frosts are very quickly gone. Get them in whilst you've got chance.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

missmenace

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 16:13 »
On a related note. I've had my shallot sets in for a week or two, no sign of any growth yet but I know I probably need to be more patient. :)

My question is, I've been given a poly-type cloche/coldframe thing and was wondering if popping it over the shallot bed would help or hinder them?

Never had the use of one before so now I've got it assembled I got all overexcited and wanted to give it a whirl, but if its not going to help the shallots I'll pack it away again for a bit or think about sowing some stuff a little earlier in the empty bed.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 16:43 »
Shallots don't really need such spoiling (unless the blackbirds are chucking them all over the place!)

Use your cloche for something which would benefit from a little extra warmth/be sown a bit earlier (e.g. parsnips?)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

missmenace

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 16:52 »
:D Funny you should say that, as I sowed a few parsnips next to the shallot bed just the other day, but the cloche is too big to just go over the parsnip area, its all or nothing I'm afraid.

I haven't grown shallots before, decided to move away from onions this year and give them a whirl (makes sense to grow the expensive stuff) and have been reading that they don't mind the cold. But now I have the cloche I want to give it something to do. :lol:

I've got another bed that is 'in waiting' for various bits and bobs. You reckon I'd be better off just sowing some other stuff a bit earlier then?

xx
Shallots

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 11:50
by Tom Hill
xx
Shallots?

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 13:49
by arugula
xx
shallots

Started by adal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 20:37
by adal
xx
Shallots

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 23:02
by Robster

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 40 queries.