Nematodes

• 13 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Nematodes
« on: June 09, 2011, 21:07 »
In my quest to find something effective against fungus gnats, I've come across quite a bit of info on nematodes and I was wondering whether anyone has had any good/bad experiences with them. They do seem to be available for a lot of the common problems, like carrot fly, caterpillars, thrips, leatherjackets, slugs, aphids, to mention just a few, and are being used commercially, yet not many people seem to use them in a non-commercial environment. Perhaps that's because they can't really be bought over the counter, or perhaps it's price, but I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences with them.

Kagganz

Re: Nematodes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 21:50 »
I used Nematodes 2 years ago to help get rid of slugs, and have only seen about 10 slugs since!

So that's over 2 years (almost clear of slugs) out of one  treatment!

So you won't get anything but praise about them from me   :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 00:37 »
That's interesting. I did think they must be effective because if they weren't commercial growers wouldn't be using them. I'm just puzzled that they don't seem to be promoted or used much in the non-commercial world, particularly given the interest in gardening/veggie growing without chemicals these days. They don't seem that expensive to me, given how much it can cost for even commonly used gardening products like tomato feed. I can only think it must be down to the fact that they're not normally available over the counter.

Benandbill

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:55 »
I've never even heard of them before reading this thread.  They sound like something off Doctor Who that goes round destroying everything  :D  If they aren't that popular on allotments, I wonder if they do the same damage to worms that they do to slugs?  If so, that might explain why people don't use them as the worms are good for the ground aren't they??  That's just a total guess though so I'm probably totally wrong!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:00 »
Totally wrong!  :lol:

Nematodes target a specific pest.

Have a look at this:

http://www.nemasysinfo.com/
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kagganz

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 06:23 »
I'm sure  I read that they should be reapplied each year,  but seeing as I haven't had many of the little blighters since,  I haven't needed to ......

now that I've typed that watch this space, I'll be invaded with the little pesky critters!

:D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:14 »
You can also get a cocktail of different nematodes that take care of all the common pests, which does sound interesting.

Doddy

• Always learning
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:19 »
I'm sure  I read that they should be reapplied each year

Every 6 weeks, I think, with 3 treatments over the growing season.

I've put down slug & GYO variety of nematode; having watched the cabbages get ravaged last year I thought worth a try.

Now we have snails.

Maybe, though, the snails are more obvious because of the almost complete lack of slugs?

Works well, although over a whole season could be expensive. I'm outside the 6wk period now (just about) - might keep an eye on rate of re-occurrence of slugs before ordering more (although subterranean damage is hard to spot before its too late)

Ternce

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:52 »
Have a look at this link - http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html

The nematode recommended in the article is Steinernema Feltiae, that is the one present in the product sold for ant and leatherjacket control. But also think it might be included in the product sold with a mixture of nematodes.

Have seen a similar article about my own problem, spotted snake millipedes and am going to give it a try.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 14:18 »
Have a look at this link - http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html

The nematode recommended in the article is Steinernema Feltiae, that is the one present in the product sold for ant and leatherjacket control. But also think it might be included in the product sold with a mixture of nematodes.

Have seen a similar article about my own problem, spotted snake millipedes and am going to give it a try.

Yes, that was the same nematode that works for fungus gnats. Actually, I just read the write up on Nemasys Grow Your Own compound nematodes, and if it works as advertised it would not only get rid of my fungus gnats, but also the ant nests in my veggie bed and the cabbage white caterpillars that are sure to attack my brassicas, and all for the bargain price of £4.95. I might have to give that a go.

Ternce

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 14:54 »
£4.95 plus p & p

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 16:16 »
I've just done my first ever (not surprising - it's my first year of growing!) drench with the GYO nematodes - but have now realised that it needs to be between 16 and 32 degrees for it to work...not sure that we're averaging that here at the moment! Oh well. They only have a 2 week shelf life in the fridge, so better to give it a go than let them go to waste. (And couldn't bear to tell my OH what I was keeping in the fridge...  :lol: )

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 16:51 »
I've just done my first ever (not surprising - it's my first year of growing!) drench with the GYO nematodes - but have now realised that it needs to be between 16 and 32 degrees for it to work...not sure that we're averaging that here at the moment!

How can that be when Nemasys say you should apply from April to July for some pests?

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 21:44 »
Not sure - but I know that certain of the nematodes need warm temperatures to survive (it was in one of the articles linked above).

xx
nematodes

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 20:24
by RGManby
xx
Nematodes

Started by steampig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 14:59
by ytyynycefn
xx
Nematodes

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 17:29
by Dopey113
xx
nematodes

Started by wrinkly1 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 16, 2012, 17:35
by wrinkly1

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 39 queries.