Tomatoes in unheated greenhouse

• 8 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Tomatoes in unheated greenhouse
« on: April 12, 2018, 13:56 »
My tomato plants in the bench-top propagator will need to be re-potted into large pots and brave the unheated greenhouse, certainly within the next two weeks. Anyone else in this position?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomatoes in unheated greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 14:20 »
I potted mine on a few days ago and popped them out into the polytunnel. They're doing ok, a little slow growing but healthy. Night time temps are above 5c in there at the moment, not ideal, but they're not in any danger.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 16:04 »
I have tomato (and chilli) plants coming out of my ears at home, waiting for temps to improve in the greenhouse. The kitchen & spare bedroom are full, much to my partner's disgust! I think they'll be going out next week as I'm at 7 to 8 deg's at night now, and it's set to warm up a little next week (if you trust the forecast!!!)
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 16:06 »
I'm still bringing mine indoors if it is below 10C, but the weather is set to improve a little from next week, so as long as you keep some fleece handy, for any cold nights, they should make it through..

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 16:56 »
Light is more important than a few degrees in my situation. Apart from the two cold snaps, the tomatoes have been in my cold greenhouse since 16 March. It's got down to about 2 degrees for a couple of hours a couple of nights, but they've been fine in propagators, and now under fleece, since they were potted on 2 weeks ago.
Lack of light is more liable to upset their development than my cold greenhouse. I also have three shop bought plants actually planted up in the greenhouse border, showing flower buds. They'll be fine, they always are.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 11:56 »
My toms, peppers an aubergines have been in my polytunnel for a few weeks. I have brought them indoors fr a couple of nights when it got really cold, otherwise they are in a mini greenhouse inside the tunnel, with a candle in the bottom and fleece or bubble wrap at night.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 20:41 »
There's no cold weather forecast in the next two weeks, by which time we'll be into May so I potted them up and they are now in final position in unheated greenhouse

Stewarty

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 00:33 »
I also took the plunge today  -  I transported 7 x 24-cell trays from my south-facing conservatory at home, to my 2 rickety greenhouses at the allotment, and spent the lovely warm afternoon planting into pre-prepared growbags. 6 growbags, and some large pots, in each greenhouse. So there are 6 growbags with a range of tomato varieties, and the other six are divided between various sorts of aubergines, peppers, and cucumbers.

It was such a dramatic change from the endless cold, grey days before. When I arrived at the allotments around 2.30 pm the temperature inside the greenhouses was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I've developed such a bad feeling about this year that I'm sure some disaster will befall the poor tender seedlings, but they just couldn't stay in those cramped seed trays a day longer...   In any case, I shall want to use the conservatory shelves to start off french and runner beans, courgettes and squashes, and sweetcorn, in a few days time...
After all, the nights start drawing-in in less than 10 weeks time...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 06:43 »
Mine have been in their small pots in the greenhouse since last weekend, and I've been prepping the borders over the last few days. Can't see any very cold nights in the forecast for the next fortnight, so mine are being planted today.
They were sown a bit later than normal and so aren't quite as big, but rather than potting them on a size, planting seems the best option  :)
It'll also give me more room in the small greenhouse for the bean sowings  :lol:

xx
When should I plant my tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse?

Started by Headgardener22 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 19:35
by Totty
xx
Can I sow in an unheated greenhouse ?

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 19:45
by hubballi
xx
Unheated greenhouse.

Started by JaK on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 15:05
by JaK
xx
toms in unheated greenhouse

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

22 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 11:29
by jrko

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 41 queries.