New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

• 8 Replies

Jae Dawn

New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:10 »
  Hi all,

I am a very new owner of three polands that are (was told by chicken breeder) that they are 6 weeks old last week so this week they are 7.  This morning as I nhave done for the last 6 mornings I put food and drink in the run while hearing the chirping of the chickens in the Omlet coop (Eglu classic with the plastic bars) I heard them jumping around.

I opened the door and two of the chickens came out but the third didn't.  I looked in and one was laying on the floor right at the door cheeping lightly.  Immediately opened the coope completely (like you would clean it.  And slowly detached the plastic bars from the front she was laying on and extracted part of her wing and right leg that looked like it was caught up in the bar.  I cuddled her and stroked her but she was shaking.

I try not to pick them up much because that seems to stress them a bit normally.  I placed her down on her feet near the food container and she just kind of leaned a bit she walked very ustable a few steps but her head is cocked to one side.  She is walking around granted very gingerly but her head isn't straight and she kind of stands in one place for a long period of time.  Then she moves around she has eaten not sure I saw her drink though but it wasn't much she hasn't really joined the others.  she does move around but her head is kind of like when you sleap on your neck wrong.  She is pecking around a bit but is a bit herself but is a bit subdued. 

Of course since I am only 5 days into the chicken holders group I am not sure what to do and have called several vets in my area ( Southend on Sea, Essex).  Most have said they don't know anything about chickens one emergancy person was very nice but said she thought she might have mites or some kind of bug.  ??? and yes this was after I explained everything.

It seems to me that they got over exuberant and were excited and jumping up and down at the door (seen them do this at the run door on tons of occasions especially Elizabeth who is the one that got hurt) and her foot got caught up and the others may have been jumping on her as well and she twisted her neck / back and possibly leg.  She seems stressed a bit and wary of the other two chickens who I have seen NO aggression at all towards her in fact they seem subdued as well like they know their friend is hurt. 

My husband and I are very concerned but at the same time we both concur that it seems she has pulled a muscle in her neck.  What do you all think ???  REally would appreciate some feed back as I am sick to my stomach with worry.  Thank you!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:57 »
keep a close eye on her just in case.
When my broodies hatch eggs in an eglu I remove the roosting bars as I have always worried about their legs getting trapped. I did start off with buying the cover to fasten over the bars for such events but didn't like it so I just piled up the hemcore for them.
Welcome by the way  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jae Dawn

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:05 »
  Thanks Joy,  I was planning on cleaning today so think I will take out the bars as you suggest until they are a bit older.  Elisabeth (the one that is hurt)  is keeping a distance from the other two and when that happens she kind of curls up and goes limp like.  When the others find her she perks up and slowly tries to distance herself from them  a bit.

I thought she was minorly hurt but was more stressed and maybe went through shock as well.  I have not had them out of my sight since it occured.  I gave them a corn on the cob and she is eating along with the others.  In thought the natural sugar in the corn would help with any shock issues.  I hope I did the right thing?  Should I separate her from the others for the day then put her back at night with them or leave them to it?  Sorry just completely clueless and worried.  Thanks for responding back to me. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:19 »
I wouldn't seperate her but I would confine them to a smallish area  - she may be hunching up as they could have trampled on her when she got stuck so she may be concerned about it happening again. Are they still on chick cumb or growers pellets now? I would not give too many treats during the day.

Jae Dawn

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:47 »
Hi Joy,

Still giving them chick crumb was going to start interudicing the layers pellets into the chick crumb in the next couple of weeks.  Since I gave them the corn she seems to be more allert and I have confined them to the run for them moment.

I have spoken to the breeder I bought them from and she suggests that I get some baby vitamin either tablets or liquid form and put a few drops into the water as well as mix up some wheat bran into some porrage and give to them.

Do you think that is a good idea?  Thanks Joy really appreciate all your help.  Will say she seems a bit more herself she has scratched a few times and is now preening (that is what I call it when they start ruffling their feathers with their beak and like cleaning themselves).  Which I take as a really good sign (or maybe I am just hopeful) :unsure: :wub:

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 09:58 »
Hi Jae :)  If they are only 7 weeks old then you should either switch them on to growers/rearers or keep them on chick crumb.  They can stay on crumb until POL (about 18 weeks).

I agree with Joy, can you bring her into the house (a large cardboard box or cat carrier) and keep her quiet for at least 24 hours.

At 7 weeks, they probably won't have been "off heat" for very long, and in her subdued state Elizabeth may appreciate a warm hot water bottle (wrapped in a tea towel) to snuggle into.

Jae Dawn

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 21:54 »
  Well found a Vet open today so hubby and I took all three of my new babies.  Basically cause the would go absolutely balistic if I separate them so everyone went.  The Vet said she had an middle ear infection.  Gave her a shot of antibiotics and gave me an dropper to give her baytril twice a day morning and evening.  He said she would be touch and go and we would know with 24 hours. 

I am just devistated been physically ill myself.  How do you get so blasted attached in a week???   Even my husband is devistated and I know he is because he didn't say one word about the vet bill and MY hubby is a tight when it comes to money and the bill was 5 times the cost of the chicken!  When I said sorry about the bill he said " I would have paid 10 times that if he would guarantee she would live"! 

So far she is still eating but she isn't drinking very much.  And ironically the only way she would eat is cause the others start to chirp to her and nudge her to get up.  I know I have read in several books and on here that they turn on the sick chicken.  Mine must not have read those books or been on any chicken forum.  They really are so very cute they come and cuddle her and try to get her to eat and drink, it is just adorable.  Think if she doesn't pull through they will be more devistated then me. 

I will be on check chicken all night I am sure at the moment they are all in a box in my tiled kitchen all cuddled up for the night.  Just thought I wouldn keep you updated.  Thanks for all your advise and help!

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 22:09 »
Im sending your little one positive thoughts, and Ill keep everything crossed for her return to health. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Mary.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 23:22 »
I just read your post, it does sound like an inner ear infection. It affects their balance and, basically, the world is spinning for them. If you look at her eyes, they may be moving rapidly from side to side as they try and focus on the world (hence why she is so unsteady and reluctant to move)

It is upsetting to watch. My rat got it whe he was 9 weeks old...on Christmas eve ¬.¬. Animals pick their moments :D. It looks bad but shes on baytrill now which is amazing stuff, she should be back on her feet in no time.

My rat was left with a permenant head tilt afterwards, and sometimes has little relapses, but he leads a full and happy life and hopefully so will your chicken :)

I find chicks are very alturistic. When my day olds were introduced to my week olds in the brooder, the week olds immediatly sat on guard whilst the day olds slept. Even now, when I go in, one of the two week olds is always on duty :).

Prayers for your chicken, you do get so attached. I had to cull a chick after 6 days...I was devestated :(

xxxxx
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

xx
very new chicken owner

Started by pandoradeus on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 20:18
by pandoradeus
xx
new chicken owner

Started by loopilizzi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 21:25
by jakinpeter
smiley
New Chicken Owner - I need help

Started by tobert51 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 21:50
by joyfull
xx
New chicken owner - need advice please!!!

Started by Maxi on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 22:33
by nicky d

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 40 queries.