Crown Prince Squash Seeds

• 5 Replies

fatbelly

Crown Prince Squash Seeds
« on: September 03, 2016, 11:28 »
Hi All I have some Crown Prince Squashes maturating nicely on my plot. I have grown this variety before and they never let me down. Can I save the seeds for next season? If so how do I do this? They are a F1 Hybrid variety
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Crown Prince Squash Seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 12:31 »
As with all F1 varieties, the seeds are produced by crossing two carefully selected parents and will only grow true to type in the first year - seeds saved from the fruits could have different and unpredicatable qualities from the plants which produced them.

Most squashes cross very readily with other types of squashes, and allotment grown plants are likely to have plenty of opportunities to do just that, so even open pollinated (non F1) squashes are quite likely to not grow true from saved seeds either.

If you want to try it though, seeds from fully developed and ripe fruits can be dried and stored and should germinate successfully next year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 16:16 »
I have grown Crown Prince in the past, and have alternated saving the seeds one year, and then buying fresh for the next.  The saved seeds have always germinated well and produced squash exactly like the parent plant in every aspect except one, and that is colour.  They are the same size, storing quality, shape and flavour, but the colour seemed to have a slight peach blush to it, rather than the original silver grey. I can't say what the result would be if seed was continuously saved, but it's worth doing for alternate years.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 17:23 »
I have grown Crown Prince in the past, and have alternated saving the seeds one year, and then buying fresh for the next.  The saved seeds have always germinated well and produced squash exactly like the parent plant in every aspect except one, and that is colour.  They are the same size, storing quality, shape and flavour, but the colour seemed to have a slight peach blush to it, rather than the original silver grey. I can't say what the result would be if seed was continuously saved, but it's worth doing for alternate years.

You may have been lucky with what cross-pollinated your plant. Most squash, courgette, marrow, pumpkin and cucumber cross-pollinate freely. DD ended up with some weird ones, photo here
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69411.msg794667#msg794667

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 14:16 »

You may have been lucky with what cross-pollinated your plant. Most squash, courgette, marrow, pumpkin and cucumber cross-pollinate freely. DD ended up with some weird ones, photo here
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69411.msg794667#msg794667

Looking at what DD got, I think you're right, Mum.  I must have been lucky to have got away with it on more than one occasion.  Having said that, not many plot holders on our half of the site grow winter squash, so maybe that has helped.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 14:57 »
The culprits don't have to be other winter squashes - many types of cucurbit, including courgettes, pumpkins and  gourds will cross pollinate with them.

Only cucumbers are above suspicion - although also cucurbits they are a different species from the above.

xx
Crown Prince Squash

Started by Gazza76 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 13:12
by Gazza76
xx
Crown prince squash

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 12:34
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Crown prince squash

Started by Ian321 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 22:16
by Ian321
xx
Crown Prince Squash

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 13:03
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 40 queries.