When rehoming ex batts,

• 26 Replies

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: When rehoming ex batts,
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 18:15 »
I have read all Plods antics, but i bet he was sane before you had him :lol: :lol:
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 18:48 »
Nope, he's apparently always been a bit unbalanced.  Mind you, so would anyone who'd lived with my MIL for 18 years!  :D

Thankfully, the cold has him sleeping quietly and he is not currently giving me any trouble.  Think the threat of being posted to Australia has made him wary...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 20:57 »
Yeah right  ;) Or lulling you into a false sense of security  :lol: Tortoises can live over 100 years - he's got time  :ohmy:

Oh and respect to anyone who hand feeds meal worms - I stand at the run door, chuck 'em and run before the carnage starts   ::)  :lol: 

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 21:44 »
I gave up on rehoming from BHWT when I first was getting my hens as the local co-ordinator was useless and I got such curt replies. In the end I got 3 POL hens and then a month later a local farmer was getting rid of his 18month old layers and told me to take as many as I wanted so I had 2 of them (I couldnt take 200, but was tempeted!). It's worth asking around locally as they are more than happy to let you come and collect on the day they go away for no charge (the two I had were off to be culled and I'm guessing then petfood etc and I keep telling them they should be grateful as they peck at me for treats  ::) ).

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 22:11 »
I have to agree with you Caralou, they were a bit snippy with me when I kept nagging about when hens would be available.  I know all their co-ordinators are volunteers but that's no excuse for a lack of courtesy. 

Yeah, cheers for that New shoot - freak me out by suggesting he's now quietly biding his time.  He already gives me the creeps.  Roll on 6 January when I will pick up MIL and FIL from Heathrow.  Plod's coming for the ride and he's going straight home!

I am still toying with the idea of flogging him and telling MIL he ran away.  Well, obviously not "ran" as such, more "ambled".  It's only since I've started looking into the whole murky world of tortoise ownership that I have realised how valuable he is...

Sassy

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 18:11 »
Unfortunately BBTM experience as well as others generally typifies my experience when trying to offer ( a very good home) to various rescued animals. Often these folk, who undoubtedly mean well alienate people and think that they are the only ones capable of offering a good home. They do a diservice to their charges and unfortunately a lot end up being cruel because they take on too much and then cannot cope. :( :( :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 15:00 »
I have to agree with you Caralou, they were a bit snippy with me when I kept nagging about when hens would be available.  I know all their co-ordinators are volunteers but that's no excuse for a lack of courtesy.  

Yeah, cheers for that New shoot - freak me out by suggesting he's now quietly biding his time.  He already gives me the creeps.  Roll on 6 January when I will pick up MIL and FIL from Heathrow.  Plod's coming for the ride and he's going straight home!

:blush: sorry ...(again)   To be fair to Plod, it's a tough call for a scaley reptile to do cute. I had a Skink and 2 Corn Snakes for years and people who came round for the first time were either fascinated or refused to be in the same room as them.

Shame people have had bad experiences from BBTM - maybe these folk see so much horrible stuff in battery units it taints their view of the world a bit.  No excuse to take it out on people trying to help though  ::)

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 18:10 »
Shame people have had bad experiences from BBTM - maybe these folk see so much horrible stuff in battery units it taints their view of the world a bit.  No excuse to take it out on people trying to help though  ::)

can I just strongly refute any such suggestions that anyones leaves BBTM having a bad experience   :tongue2:

Foxy

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 19:08 »

can I just strongly refute any such suggestions that anyones leaves BBTM having a bad experience   :tongue2:

maybe ask the wife?? :unsure: :lol: :lol:

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 19:16 »
Unfortunately BBTM experience as well as others generally typifies my experience when trying to offer ( a very good home) to various rescued animals. Often these folk, who undoubtedly mean well alienate people and think that they are the only ones capable of offering a good home. They do a diservice to their charges and unfortunately a lot end up being cruel because they take on too much and then cannot cope. :( :( :(
:( this is SO true, they just shoot themselves in the foot then moan that not enough people care !

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 19:30 »
 :blush: ooooops - sorry BBTM, got the letters mixed up. I meant BHWT  ::)

Must be the trauma of reading your chicken pi joke  :blink:

Bigblacktaximan

Re: When rehoming ex batts, ~ Apology received
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 11:43 »
I have now received and accepted the following  apology regarding my recent experience with the BHWT and it is reproduced below with the agreement of the writer in the interest of fairness

"Dear Neil

I am writing to apologise for the dealings you have had with one of our Essex team. 

Although there are millions of hens in cages in the UK, we only manage to access a small number of these and so we try to find them the best homes we can.  We sometimes get approached by people who simply want cheap hens, expect them to lay enough eggs to earn their keep and will dispose of them when they stop laying. These are homes we try to avoid for the hens and unfortunately I think this is what ****** read into your email. 

Clearly ****** misunderstood your intentions and reacted quite sharply, and for that I can only apologise.  Our volunteers have the best intentions but in this case I think ******'s protectiveness of the hens caused a knee-jerk reaction.

I can appreciate that following your experience you may have decided against rehoming any ex-bats but if you change your mind please do get in touch.

Once again, please accept our apologies."

The apology was sent from a lady at the charities central offices and, I feel made without reservation and aknowledges that persons initial reaction to my enquirey was a little bit of a knee jerk reaction and I have accepted  the actions of the local co ordinator were based on the best of intentions ie protecting the ex batts from further explotation.

I hope this will now draw a line under this thread and maybe the moderator will lock it so no further posts.

xx
Rehoming more ex batts ?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 18:30
by Catsmuvva
xx
Norwich Ex Bat rehoming 7th 8th Feb

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 09:14
by LittleRedHen
xx
Can anyone help...Ex battery hens need rehoming

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 11:24
by Sausages1983
xx
crates, for a rehoming group

Started by mazthegob on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 18:18
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 40 queries.