Peppers, Chillis and Aubergines not germinating

• 23 Replies

Mr Dog

Re: Peppers, Chillis and Aubergines not germinating
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 19:39 »
"Try chitting them on damp paper towel in a sealed container placed somewhere warm."

Would plastic butter container with lid be ok or does the lid have to be clear/see through?
That would be fine - just don't forget to look at them regularly - cos once the roots are through they will need planting/potting up asap :)

I check on mine twice a day. I've found that you can just about get away with leaving them a day between sprouting and potting up but, you need to be extra careful to avoid damaging the root. As mum says best to pot them on asap.

Eblana

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 21:13 »
I sowed two more pots of Aubergines and three pots of peppers (different varieties to the ones that popped up this morning).  I then watered them with warm water and put them in the centre of the propagator where the temperature is higher.

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 17:47 »
"I always sow my peppers/chilli`s in jiffy 7"

Seems they come in different sizes of 30mm, 35mm & 45mm.

As I have never used them what size would you suggest?

Mr Dog

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 22:20 »
"I always sow my peppers/chilli`s in jiffy 7"

Seems they come in different sizes of 30mm, 35mm & 45mm.

As I have never used them what size would you suggest?

I've been using ones supposedly 41x42mm (but they are definitely taller than they are wide) so I'd go for the largest to allow the seedlings to grow on as long as possible before having to pot up.
I bought a large quantity of those a few years ago but they contain peat. Once I've used them up I'm going to look for a non peat containing replacement.

Edit: Have found Jiffy 7Cs which are peat free (coir)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 18:21 by Mr Dog »

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 08:40 »
I have some seeds Chillies, Peppers & tomatoes that are growing with 2 leaves on them, these are on north facing window sill in a central heated room 22 degrees during day 18 night.

Will it be ok to move them to unheated green house south facing, temp anything from –0.1 to 27 (although that was over the weekend hoping for an improvement now).

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08 »
I have some seeds Chillies, Peppers & tomatoes that are growing with 2 leaves on them, these are on north facing window sill in a central heated room 22 degrees during day 18 night.

Will it be ok to move them to unheated green house south facing, temp anything from –0.1 to 27 (although that was over the weekend hoping for an improvement now).

An unheated greenhouse is too cold for now.  I would keep them inside.

victoria park

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 16:03 »
Depends where you are really. I have an unheated greenhouse, and all my toms and jalapenos are in it. Same every year, but I do make sure they are double insulated, ie. they are in a propagator with a lid on in the greenhouse, which is made from 4mm twin wall polycarbonate. That material probably gives another degree, maybe two, of warmth compared to glass. They do far better there than at home on a window cill, but then I don't heat my house during the day. They just stretch too much even with kitchen foil.  On sunny days, the greenhouse is perfect for them, up to 30 degrees this time of year, they get down to 4 or 5 for a couple of hours at night, but it never seems to affect them badly. Another fortnight and the night time temps will be 10 under the proagator plastic. Fleece is deployed when they are too tall for the propagator lids.
I do bring them home though in weather like this last weekend. Below freezing is a no no.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 16:17 by victoria park »

afcb

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 22:43 »
I have at least one of each chilli/pepper sown this year germinated except Scotch Bonnet. Do they need a higher temperature or shall I be more patient? They’re all in a propogator

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 04:57 »
Give them more warmth to germinate. I always start my pepper and chilli seeds in the boiler cupboard, which is about 28C. Seeds sprout within a week. Then I pot on into small individual pots. For Christmas I received a Garland Grow Light Garden, which the plants are all under and doing very well. The unit is in the lounge which is quite warm and the grow light ensures nice compact plants with no spindly growth.

xx
germinating peppers

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 22:08
by Ice
xx
Peppers and chillis

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 11:51
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Chillis and peppers?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 13:00
by Sadgit
xx
What to do with my peppers and chillis

Started by funkydelia on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 20:02
by Kristen

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 35 queries.