Peppers, Chillis and Aubergines not germinating

• 23 Replies

Eblana

Peppers, Chillis and Aubergines not germinating
« on: March 10, 2018, 10:05 »
Help, for the second year in a row I have had zero germination from Peppers, Chillis and Aubergines.  I bought all fresh seed this year as I assumed that last years no shows were due to old seed.  I sowed them in fresh seed compost 23 days ago in a large heated propagator which is at about 20 degrees and not a single one has shown despite everything else that was sown at the same time now needing pricking out. 

I am going to sow another lot but was wondering if anyone would have any idea what I am doing wrong.  I did hear Monty Don saying last night to water Peppers with warm water so not to drop the temp which I haven't been doing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Peppers, Chillis and Aubergines not germinating
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:12 »
Are the seed trays drying out that quickly that they needed watering again, or do you mean just at the start?

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:16 »
At the start and during the three weeks since they were sown they needed one watering.

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 10:46 »
Try chitting them on damp paper towel in a sealed container placed somewhere warm. That's how I've been starting peppers and chillies off for a few years now and last year it worked successfully with aubergines too. Once the root appears carefully sow the chitted seed and wait (I use small 'jiffy' type pellets and let them get well established before potting up). I find this way I 'waste' virtually no seed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 13:07 »
sorry, I don't know what's happened then  :(  have a gentle rake around see if they are doing anything under the surface, before you give up on them

victoria park

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 14:41 »
I had sporadic no shows of various seeds last year, including tomatoes, peppers and onions. I bought a second propagator this year and things have returned to normal.
It could be that the propagator you're using isn't getting warm enough. The new successful propagator feels a lot warmer than the other older one I'm still using, and having issues with again.

paul sadler

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 14:55 »
welcome to my world.
I have grown these as well and as the saying goes be patient old fellow you can't rush nature but honestly I've had the same problem yes do need heat to germinate but these take longer than any other  to grow I have just sown mine but don't expect any result's until april . :D

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 20:27 »
I always sow my peppers/chilli`s in jiffy 7`s and set the prop to 26, this year i`m over run with them (pity you wern`t closer) gotta pot up about 60 odd assorted sweet and hot and have decided to fill the 8x6 greenhouse with just peppers.
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

Silva

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 20:41 »
I had my chillis in an unheated propagator covered with cling film. I regularly sprinkled them with a small amount of water using my fingers and all 11 of the seeds I planted germinated- could it be something to do with keeping the surface moister? They did take a few weeks though.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 20:48 »
I had my chillis in an unheated propagator covered with cling film. I regularly sprinkled them with a small amount of water using my fingers and all 11 of the seeds I planted germinated- could it be something to do with keeping the surface moister? They did take a few weeks though.

Same here, unheated propagator with a plastic lid on. Just moisten the soil enough to be damp (not wet) and leave them to it, with the lid on I rarely need to water them again until they grow above the compost.
How do you store the seeds during the year? If they get to warm or damp they may be ruined...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 10:21 »
Don't give up yet as at 20C they will take a bit longer for sure. As MoS said, a gentle furtle will see if anything is going on... roots grow before shoots usually
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Eblana

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 10:37 »
The Chilis and peppers have popped through today and I have also found some seedlings in pots of flowers that look distinctly like peppers/chillis I think the mice have moved seed around the pots because I definitely have tomato seedlings amongst my flower seedlings😂😂. There are still no sign of the aubergines, will leave the pots in the propogator and plant a couple more just in case.

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 15:20 »
"Try chitting them on damp paper towel in a sealed container placed somewhere warm."

Would plastic butter container with lid be ok or does the lid have to be clear/see through?

Silva

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 17:07 »
The Chilis and peppers have popped through today and I have also found some seedlings in pots of flowers that look distinctly like peppers/chillis I think the mice have moved seed around the pots because I definitely have tomato seedlings amongst my flower seedlings😂😂. There are still no sign of the aubergines, will leave the pots in the propogator and plant a couple more just in case.

Phew :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 18:00 »
"Try chitting them on damp paper towel in a sealed container placed somewhere warm."

Would plastic butter container with lid be ok or does the lid have to be clear/see through?
That would be fine - just don't forget to look at them regularly - cos once the roots are through they will need planting/potting up asap :)

xx
germinating peppers

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 22:08
by Ice
xx
Chillis and peppers?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 13:00
by Sadgit
xx
What to do with my peppers and chillis

Started by funkydelia on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 20:02
by Kristen
xx
Peppers and chillis

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 22:49
by mulletsrokk

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.