Citric acid and other acid...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Citric acid and other acid...
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:26 »
We've been making a recipe of home-made red wine for well over forty years now, and since we've rationalised the recipe, I'm wondering if a reappraisal of the addition of acids needs to be taken into account.

The recipe is based on dried elderberries, dry cider, sugar, pectolase, acid and yeast. It was originally started by C.J.J.Berry, and is a great cheap and fast wine to make, as well as very easy. (The was a post here under the term ''Christleton').

We used to boil the hell out of the dried elderberries, but nowadays just add pectolase for twenty-four hours, then boil the sugar, add the cider and start a six gallon fermentation with super-yeast. It's usually ready in four weeks, but we do fine it to make sure there is no pectin haze lurking around.

But as we enter late middle age, the sharpness of the acid may be something to reconsider - I usually pop in about five small tsps.

Does the team think this may be too much - or little?

The different batches take on their own tastes and strengths, but the basic flavour remains the same!

Thoughts anyone?

grinling

Re: Citric acid and other acid...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 19:52 »
If finding the wine bland add more, but if too sharp add less

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 21:27 »
If finding the wine bland add more, but if too sharp add less

No two batches are the same Grinling.

Some mature well and retain a great vinosity, others go sharp and indigestible.

What's your view on adding acid later, after fermentation?

grinling

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 23:22 »
you could do.I have been known to add lemon juice instead of citric acid. I also freeze elderberries before making wine and so sometimes more berries than needed.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 18:27 »
Is the sharpness caused by acid or tannin from the dried elderberries?
Find it a little odd that what is an an elderberry wine matures into drinkable so quick. Usually the tannin level means they have to sit for some time.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 17:02 »
Is the sharpness caused by acid or tannin from the dried elderberries?
Find it a little odd that what is an an elderberry wine matures into drinkable so quick. Usually the tannin level means they have to sit for some time.

It's always been quoted as a 'three week wine', Annie. I still have the recipe from 'Amateur Winemaker' from the early seventies! I didn't realise it was a C.J.J.Berry recipe until a few years ago!

It's definitely not a tannin issue, as I tried adding more once and it was not a good idea!

As some yeasts/musts need an acid atarter hit, I wonder (always have done), if I perhaps put too much in -- usually about two - three teaspoons for six gallons.

After a good clout with some Kwik-Clear fining, it falls crystal bright in no time at all - often within twenty-four hours!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 17:04 »
you could do.I have been known to add lemon juice instead of citric acid. I also freeze elderberries before making wine and so sometimes more berries than needed.

They're always the dried ones from Home Wine and Beer, Grinling. Not the cheapest but great quality!

I always put the different 'brews' down to altered curcumstances as well as too much/too littl acid, but ninety-nine times out of a hundred we never have to waste any!

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 16:09 »
Not sure I would boil the sugar this is an old fashioned thing I would add more acid (malic) then use a non fermentable sweetener to take the edge off. most commercial dry wines are quite sweet whilst very dry wine picks up "odd" taints
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
citric acid

Started by lucywil on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 20:56
by seadart
xx
another elderflower cordial query - citric acid

Started by horticgirl on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 18:15
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Turbo Cider / Malic Acid

Started by Shop Keep on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 20:51
by ohbeary

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 43 queries.