allotments closed for winter?

• 11 Replies

rowlandwells

allotments closed for winter?
« on: October 19, 2017, 19:41 »
having watched the last program of beachgrove last week I just wondered what your thought where about closing down for winter

now to me I still have plenty to do before I lose the allotment gate and winter to me gives me time to repair tools clean the greenhouses and pots basically and that's after I finish ploughing the allotments we usually get the log burner going in the greenhouse so its warm for washing pots and trays

what could be better than having a couple of hours with a warm stove a cup of coffee with  a bacon butty and the seed catalogues because we never close for winter there's always something to do

well that's my winter jobs sorted overwinter what's your winter jobs or do you like the TV progs  go  into  hibernation till spring

Christine

Re: allotments closed for winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 19:47 »
Heck - I've some more digging to manage before the winter closes in. As well as the winter onions/garlic to plant (growing roots in trays at present to give them a good start). There's some hedges to tidy up, some pruning to do and I'd like to get some extra corners into shape in order to have a bit more space. That's despite having two plots. Oh and I've still some crops that will last into the winter (parsnips and swede).

spadework

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 20:20 »
I work my allotments year round. Winter is one of my favourite times because the seasons rush is over and you can take your time. You can also do jobs that will give you a head start in the spring.

Planting new fruit trees and bushes there is no better time for that. Winter digging warms you up in no time. December is my pruning month - grapevines, currants, gooseberries, roses fruit trees etc. This year I shall be banging in posts to hold up netting to keep the birds off. Once the new year begin the winter/spring bulbs begin.

Never short of jobs to do on the allotments.

Some plot holders are last seen at the end of september and not seen again until april.  Not saying that's wrong but its not for me. Many winter days I have the whole site to myself. :)

jambop

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:00 »
I don't like the cold wet soil of winter but there is always something that needs done in the garden. Winters down here can give some very nice warm days when these jobs can be done in comfort. Mending my fences is high on the agenda this winter bloomin deer has been getting in and eating the wife's roses.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 09:39 »
We also work our plots all year round, with plenty of Winter and early Spring crops to harvest, as well as lots of clearing up, fixing of bed edges that may have broken etc. This year with the new polytunnel I am hoping for even more harvests that would otherwise struggle in the wet and cold open ground, such as red mustard and salad leaves

Can't imaging closing down for Winter
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 16:35 »
nice to see you folks keeping up with the winter jobs like myself glad I'm not the only one in the winter club and as said there's always something to do on the allotments if you want it to be

don't forget to wrap up well when going down the allotments in those frosty morns with your thermos in the packet a morning down the allotment gives one an apatite for that lunchtime soup  :lol:

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 19:38 »
I tend to work all through the winter too.  It's the ideal time for doing all of the jobs that needed doing in the sowing and growing season, but lack of time means putting them off until winter. 
I like to tackle the odd nooks and crannies that are a bit 'rough', to try to get them into shape.  Digging over beds, edging paths, and trying to dig out the pernicious weeds that hide themselves in amongst other plants, in particular around the roots of raspberries are just some of my winter jobs. 
It's lovely to feel that at the end of the winter the plot is all ready for sowing and planting, and I don't have to rush to try to prepare the soil.
Apart from anything else, if I continue to work the plot I don't find I suffer so much with aches and pains in the spring, because I've been working my muscles all through the winter, even if it is at a gentle pace. The other benefit is simply being out in the open air, weather permitting, because it certainly helps to blow away the winter blues that a lot of us suffer from when the days are so short.

sarajane

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 20:08 »
I've got 2 greenhouses but one is now hidden from the sun by a very overgrown tree so it's mainly used for storage of pots rec. It needs a VERY good sort out. That's first on my list but it's a job I love to do and feel a bit smug when it's good and tidy. All pots trays fleece rec all tidy for the spring

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 07:42 »
When we had the lottie it was hard in the winter as it was on a steep slope. But we still went down once a week to potter about and pick winter veg.
Now i grow at home its easy to get an hour or so in when every the conditions are right.
I always find things to do.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 07:49 »
I've got 2 greenhouses but one is now hidden from the sun by a very overgrown tree so it's mainly used for storage of pots rec. It needs a VERY good sort out. That's first on my list but it's a job I love to do and feel a bit smug when it's good and tidy. All pots trays fleece rec all tidy for the spring

Nice to have the storage but what a waste can you not prune the tree to let the sun in, just think of all the lovely seeds you could grow & crops you could have 😄
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sarajane

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 18:16 »
The tree is in the garden our plot backs onto. It's as tall as a house almost. It was a seedling Hawthorne which is also now covered in ivy like a blanket. I do manage to get seedlings started in there. Me thinks another word will have to be said but I think I know the answer. Grrrh

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 20:53 »
winter is natures helping hand when it comes to hacking back brambles etc. Plus you get to warm yourself up chopping to damn stuff down. :lol:

Time to prepare the ground for next year as well. I was going to spread a lot of muck around and cover it over winter with tarps, but the muck was still to fresh, and I don't fancy a nice crop of grass and weeds next year  ::)

Got lots to do as well... Mainly tidying and making stuff, as well as a couple of over-winter crops to keep an eye on.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

xx
What am I going to do now?- Local nursery closed

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 14:04
by DD.
xx
green house door (open or closed ?)

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 20:39
by Wild Pony
xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc
xx
What can be sown now that can over winter or be harvested in winter?

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 13:29
by Y.E.A.H

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.